ATI and pbuffers

As far as I know, to use pbuffers I have to use the extension GLX_SGIX_pbuffer. Unfortunately glxinfo on my Radeon 9700 Pro doesn’t show anything of that kind, and glXGetProcAddressARB((GLubyte*)“glXCreateGLXPbufferSGIX”)
returns NULL.

So, is it really the case that the 9700 doesn’t have support for pbuffers, or am I using a wrong extension?

The GLX_SGIX_pbuffer extension is an extension to glX 1.2. It has been integrated then in glX 1.3 (see http://www.opengl.org/developers/documentation/glx.html ). So if the Radeon 9700 supports glX 1.3, pbuffer support should be available.

flo

Originally posted by flo:
[b]The GLX_SGIX_pbuffer extension is an extension to glX 1.2. It has been integrated then in glX 1.3 (see http://www.opengl.org/developers/documentation/glx.html ). So if the Radeon 9700 supports glX 1.3, pbuffer support should be available.

flo[/b]

Unfortunately it supports only 1.2, according to glxinfo:

server glx vendor string: SGI
server glx version string: 1.2
server glx extensions:
GLX_EXT_visual_info, GLX_EXT_visual_rating, GLX_EXT_import_context
client glx vendor string: SGI
client glx version string: 1.2
client glx extensions:
GLX_EXT_visual_info, GLX_EXT_visual_rating, GLX_EXT_import_context, GLX_ATI_pixel_format_float
GLX extensions:
GLX_EXT_visual_info, GLX_EXT_visual_rating, GLX_EXT_import_context
OpenGL vendor string: ATI Technologies Inc.
OpenGL renderer string: Radeon 9700 Pro Pentium 4 (SSE2)

How can I use floating point pixel formats (which seem to be supported according to GLX_ATI_pixel_format_float) without pbuffers?
I couldn’t find any information aboud this glx-extension on the web.

Hi,

Pbuffers are supported by the 9700 boards under Linux. Take a look at the fgl_glxgears example provided by with the RPMS. The support is not 100% but is getting better.

– Niels

Originally posted by Niels Husted Kjaer:

Pbuffers are supported by the 9700 boards under Linux. Take a look at the fgl_glxgears example provided by with the RPMS. The support is not 100% but is getting better.

Thanks, I’ll look at the code.

This topic was automatically closed 183 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.