Very newbie question

I have been writing opengl code on windows for a year now, but windows implementation of opengl is 1.1 and it does not support the imaging subset. I would like to switch to linux… Will my code be portable to linux or will I have to use Mesa and rewrite my code???

Pretty much portable, unless you use stuff like wglGetProcAddress… I dont believe there’s anything like that in GLX.

Originally posted by sylphin:
[b]Pretty much portable, unless you use stuff like wglGetProcAddress… I dont believe there’s anything like that in GLX.

[/b]

glXGetProcAddressARB.

wglUseOutlineFont()

I sure wish glx had something like this! Bitmapped fonts just don’t cut it.

Chris

I want to use the glConvolution2D() function which is part of the new imaging subset, will it be available on linux implementation of OpenGL

Originally posted by chennes:
[b]wglUseOutlineFont()

I sure wish glx had something like this! Bitmapped fonts just don’t cut it.

Chris[/b]

glXUseXFont

glutStrokeCharacter

Originally posted by mathieu:
I want to use the glConvolution2D() function which is part of the new imaging subset, will it be available on linux implementation of OpenGL

glConvolutionFilter1DEXT
glConvolutionFilter2DEXT
etc etc.

Mesa does not implement the imaging subset but I think nvidia does. Linux is really cool and has several advantages but you propably find the same functions in Windows. Easier in linux since you do not have to get the addresses for 1.2 functions. The correct names would be

glConvolutionFilter1D
glConvolutionFilter2D
etc etc.

Mesa is just an option for implementations nvidia is replacing the whole OpenGL library so no part of Mesa is used.

The availability of the imaging operations on windows and Linux depends on the particular OpenGL implementation you are using. If you really need this there are cards which have support for what you’re after. It’s not a function of windows, it’s all in the OpenGL drivers & graphics cards. It won’t be in the vanilla header file ofcourse but you can get headers which include the IHV supported extensions & tokens.

Same on Linux and windows, gl.h is not going to include card specific extensions and token definitions unless you use the one supplied by the IHV.

This topic was automatically closed 183 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.