Linux OpenGL installation

Hello

I am new to graphics programming. I installed madrake 9.0 on my laptop (dual boot with win2k) and downloaded and installed most of the following rpms (I got src for some but didnt install):

glut-3.7-9.src.rpm libMesaGLU1-devel-4.0.3-6mdk.i586.rpm
gtk-1.2.10-ximian.9.i386.rpm libMesaglut3-4.0.3-6mdk.i586.rpm
gtk.rpm libMesaglut3-devel-4.0.3-6mdk.i586.rpm
imake-4.2.1-4.i686.rpm Mesa-4.0.3-6mdk.i586.rpm
libMesaGL1-4.0.3-6mdk.i586.rpm Mesa-4.0.3-6mdk.src.rpm

After all that I have:

ls /usr/X11R6/include/GL/
glu.h glu_mangle.h glut.h

I run slocate (fully updated db) and dont have gl.h anywhere on the system. (or anything containg opengl).

Is there any documentation or advice people could offer for getting started on graphics programming?

thanx in advance

…and downloaded and installed most of the following rpms…

Weird. All this stuff came right on my Mandrake (8.2) cd’s. It was pretty much installed by default when I told the installer that I wanted games and also dev stuff.

Did you buy/download Mandrake 9 iso’s?

The only thing my Mandrake 8.2 didn’t come with (IIRC) was a header file (maybe glu.h, can’t remember). I got that by downloading the correct version of Mesa and copying the header from there.

Make sure that you also install the devel rpm’s

I don’t have mandrake handy, but the file names should have Mesa and devel in them.

That’s most likely all that is missing.

One other thing–you may not want the Mesa libs if you have an NVidia graphics card, as they supply a set of drivers and their own version of OpenGL. The ATI 8xxx, 9xxx series also has a driver from ATI, I don’t have one so I’m not sure about the details of installing their drivers…

Jamie

Thanx for the replies…

I have a RAGE Mobility card (or somesuch, laptop).

I did some research and it seems to me that I should focus on getting all the mesa stuff installed. Is this correct?

Can anyone point me to a good test program to run?

m

Originally posted by amendol:
[b]Make sure that you also install the devel rpm’s

I don’t have mandrake handy, but the file names should have Mesa and devel in them.

That’s most likely all that is missing.

One other thing–you may not want the Mesa libs if you have an NVidia graphics card, as they supply a set of drivers and their own version of OpenGL. The ATI 8xxx, 9xxx series also has a driver from ATI, I don’t have one so I’m not sure about the details of installing their drivers…

Jamie[/b]

I once had a laptop with a 3d rage pro, in it. That one needed the Mesa drivers to work.

The laptop that you have, most likely has a version of the radion series of ati cards in it. You can tell by looking at the /proc/pci file. It will tell you what the card reports to be + your manual and panphlets will tell you some info also.

Mandrake should have installed all the gfx stuff if it didnt goto www.mesa3d.org dl and install that.

Originally posted by shrndegruv:
[b]Thanx for the replies…

I have a RAGE Mobility card (or somesuch, laptop).

I did some research and it seems to me that I should focus on getting all the mesa stuff installed. Is this correct?

Can anyone point me to a good test program to run?

m

[/b]

Sounds lik Mesa would be best for this card, although I don’t have one so I’m not sure if the new drivers from ati will drive it. If the new ati drivers work on that card I would go with them. Otherwise it looks like you are all set for OpenGL acceleration on the laptop, as the mesa libs are installed. All you need now is the Mesa devel rpm’s. Once you install them, the headers will be there, and you can develop GL apps

Jamie

hello,
i am having the problem as I have a NVIDIA card and so installed their drivers
and after that my programs in opengl wont compile!i have mandrake 9.0 and they use mesa.
please offer a suggestion abt what i can do?.
i need to run them badly.

thanks in advance
anindya

I also have mandrake 9.0 and have experianced the same problems after a full install.

I downloaded the libraries from the internet and manualy placed them in /usr/lib I then put the header files in /usr/lib/glu/include.

the “file not found - ./GL/glu.h” went away. Now I am getting a libMesaGLU.so.x file not found.

I have not identified where this library can be downloaded. The Mesa lib package does not have it…

Originally posted by c_anindya:
[b]hello,
i am having the problem as I have a NVIDIA card and so installed their drivers
and after that my programs in opengl wont compile!i have mandrake 9.0 and they use mesa.
please offer a suggestion abt what i can do?.
i need to run them badly.

thanks in advance
anindya[/b]

I have Mandrake 8.2, hope this can help a little:

Package containig gl.h:

NVIDIA_GLX-1.0-2313

Package containing glu.h:

Mesa-common-devel-3.4.2-2mdk

You basically have to run the rpmdrake program as root, type the file you want to search, check the Find by file button and it will point you to the package you need.

This topic was automatically closed 183 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.