Good 3D Demo program

I recently installed Xfree4.0 and nvidia’s drivers on my box. I’m looking for a simple 3d program to run that gives you the framerates its producing? I downloaded the mesa demos and tryied to compile them but they kept giving me errors about not finding glu and glut stuff. So I guess a precompiled binary would be a good place to start.

If you wish to use GL stuff under Linux on a regular basis, you’ll want to get the glut and glu libraries, since almost all GL programs use at least glu.

If all you’ll ever want to do is test your performance, though, you might be able to find some programs that statically link in these libraries (like maybe quake III).

Good luck,
Zeno

A good demo program is gears. I get about 75 frames per second on a k6-450 with a Voodoo3 and using Enlightenment .16.4 as a window manager.

where can one find gears?

Originally posted by jmeinhorn:
A good demo program is gears. I get about 75 frames per second on a k6-450 with a Voodoo3 and using Enlightenment .16.4 as a window manager.

If you have downloaded the Mesa3.2 stuff its in the demos subdirectory and is a good program for testing framerates.

ok… got gears to compile and run On my
K6-2/400 with 128MB pc100, diamond monster fusion w/ 16 MB, running windowmaker 0.60.0
and xfree86 version 3.3.5.

I am getting 63 fps. Is this resonable?

It depends on what chipset your card has. I was using a Voodoo3, which is suppose to be fairly decent. Without hardware acceleration I was only getting about 53 fps. However, the drivers are still really young because I should be able to get 100 fps with reliative ease even though I was only get 75. I’m not sure if you are using hardware acceleration either because I’m sure you would need to use the UTAH GLX stuff if you are using the 3.3.5 version of X.

How do you get gears to run in full screen (or does it) because I’m gettin some crazy numbers (in window mode).

[han@nemesis opengl]$ gears
2004 frames in 5.001 seconds = 400.72 FPS
1865 frames in 5.003 seconds = 372.776 FPS
2130 frames in 5 seconds = 426 FPS
[han@nemesis opengl]$ gears -info
GL_RENDERER = RIVA TNT2/AGP
GL_VERSION = 1.2.0
GL_VENDOR = NVIDIA Corporation
GL_EXTENSIONS = GL_EXT_abgr
[han@nemesis opengl]$

This topic was automatically closed 183 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.