Gaming Devices under Linux?

Hi all,
I’d like to ask you if there is any OpenGL support for gaming devices especially wheels & joysticks? Logitech developes drivers only for DirectX which is quite unacceptable for me.

Thank you very much for any help.
Paul

OpenGL is a Graphic Library not an Human Interface Device, so there won’t have any support for it.

However, glut support well mouse, keyboard, joysticks and others. So have a look at glut.

If you don’t want to use glut, you’ll have to make an web search for what you’re looking for.

Hope this helps a bit.

OpenGL has nothing to do with gaming devices. For these matters, you should have a look at SDL, it has very good joystick support…

If you don’t want to use SDL, you can at least look at their source how they do it :wink:

Thank you for your replies but maybe I didn’t describe very well what I meant. I do know OpenGL is a graphics API, I use it. I should have asked if there is some extension library (for OpenGL) developed to support game devices.
My wish and need is NOT to use DirectX (which has graphics,audio and game devices integrated).

Paul

The idea about using GLUT was very good. There is a ‘Spaceball’ implemented which can serve for joystick but now I can’t imagine very well how would it work with a steering wheel and pedals.

Anyway, thanks a lot.
Paul.

http://libsdl.org/

From an application standpoint there is no difference between a joystick and a steering wheel. The wheel will produce horizontal movement, the pedals will produce vertical movement…

You don’t want to use directx ? Good, I think it’s somewhat difficult under Linux :wink:

And as other stippled, I forgot to mention SDL.

This topic was automatically closed 183 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.