Sis6326- how the $%!@ do i do openGL?

I’m using a sis6326 (AGP chipset, which really is bizzare because it is on a PCI card!) under a Mandrake Linux 7.2 system which can dual boot to Microshaft Windows 98se (I really ought to get rid of windows…), and I can’t get bloody openGL to work under either OS. Putting the inferior OS aside, I’m not quite sure which version of Xfree86 I’m using, but I think it’s 4.0.1 (how do I check? <I’m new> ).

I know that it is possible to get utahGL for this card on Xfree86 3.3.6, but I am extremely reluctant to change the Xfree86 version because I attempted to update to 4.0.2 but screwed it up and had to reinstall linux.

Can anybody help me?

In order to know which X11 you’re using:
startx 2>&1|less
Then see the very first lines displayed in the console from which you’ve launched X11.
(Should it be launched automatically, first open a terminal and key in “init 3” to get in console mode w/o X11, then launch the command above)

For Sis:
I had a SiS620 - poor of me! - last year, and the opengl driver was at the first steps of developpement: it could run Quake III demo, but was quite slow and graphically bugged. Maybe it is better now.
I used the GLX drivers for XFree 3.3.6
Don’t know if it is supported in DRA under XFree 4.0.*

My real advice: get a TNT2 or a 3dfx pci card, and get rid of your sis

Some easier ways to see which version of X
you’re running (especially if you go into
runlevel 5):

$ less /var/log/XFree86.0.log

if that file exists, then you’re probably
using 4.x (check in the file to see exact
version number). If it doesn’t exist,
you’re probably using 3.x

$ xdpyinfo

Will also tell you the version of X you are
running (under “vendor name”)

Originally posted by Sly:
[b]In order to know which X11 you’re using:
startx 2>&1|less
Then see the very first lines displayed in the console from which you’ve launched X11.
(Should it be launched automatically, first open a terminal and key in “init 3” to get in console mode w/o X11, then launch the command above)

For Sis:
I had a SiS620 - poor of me! - last year, and the opengl driver was at the first steps of developpement: it could run Quake III demo, but was quite slow and graphically bugged. Maybe it is better now.
I used the GLX drivers for XFree 3.3.6
Don’t know if it is supported in DRA under XFree 4.0.*[/b]

Right, I’ve found out that i’m in Xfree86 3.3.6 (I looked in the KDE control centre thing).

I’ll try the UtahGLX drivers…

This topic was automatically closed 183 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.