Trouble after installing GCC 3.3.2

My apologies for asking this since it’s all but related to GL however, after installing the new GCC I get this error from the program:
“/usr/lib/libgcc_s.so.1: version `GCC_3.3’ not found (required by /usr/local/lib/libstdc++.so.5)”
I rebuilt and reinstalled libgcc as stated on GCC’s homepage, however problem is still there.
How this can be fixed?

Looks like you got a bad gcc install. Are you using the same gcc to link as the one you use to compile? The fact that it’s looking for libgcc in one place and libstdc++ in another is suspicious, at best.

Originally posted by idr:
[b]Looks like you got a bad gcc install.[b]
Do you mean a corrupted package or a wrong installation? I installed just as specified in the docs.
[b]Are you using the same gcc to link as the one you use to compile?[b]
Yes. After the new GCC were in place I rebuilt libgcc. This was suggested by google (which found very few references anyway). This was also being stated on some well-hidden docs.
Looks like there’s also a problem in how program code is linked since the new GCC ABI looks to be incompatible with the old one (not sure I understood it correctly since this would be a real pain).
Actually, looks like the open source community suggest to “reinstall the distro from scratch”. Wow.
Google found very few references to that problem. Looks like everybody is more interested in running the whole OS and all its services rather that keeping a vehicle development machine up to date.

The fact that it’s looking for libgcc in one place and libstdc++ in another is suspicious, at best.
Oh well, if you say so. I really don’t noticed this however, I checked those files and everything seems to be at its place (also checked file date and the date of the new libgcc is the same as the new installation).

Thank you for your answer, at least you spent some time on my problem.

Well the compiler output you posted said “/usr/lib/libgcc_s.so.1 … /usr/local/lib/libstdc++.so.5”. It looks like one is coming from /usr/lib and the other is coming from /usr/local/lib.

I’m guessing that your distro was gcc 2.* based. When I’ve built gcc 3.* on distros like that, I’ve built with ‘–prefix=/usr/local/gcc-<version>’ and ‘–program-suffix=-<version>’. Then, after building and installing, I just add gcc-<version>/bin to my path and explicitly invoke gcc-<version> or g+±<version>. Following the configuration , build ,
and installation directions carefully, I’ve never had any problems. Some distros may have problems if you install gcc 3.* over top of gcc 2.*, but I don’t know for sure one way or the other…

Some distros may have problems if you install gcc 3.* over top of gcc 2.*, but I don’t know for sure one way or the other…
Well, I figure out I’ll have to reinstall everything (the browser also blown up some time ago).

This topic was automatically closed 183 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.