speed problem

hello,

i have an nvidia geforce2mx 32MoDDR with AMD 300MHz (and other 1600+XP).
I use mandrake 8.0 and nvidia drivers (all check under xf86config-4) are done (load= “glx”, driver= “nvidia”
but, all is slow ! very slow ! i don’t know why.
i may don’t use mesa, is that important ?

thanks

Originally posted by clee:
[b]hello,

i have an nvidia geforce2mx 32MoDDR with AMD 300MHz (and other 1600+XP).
I use mandrake 8.0 and nvidia drivers (all check under xf86config-4) are done (load= “glx”, driver= “nvidia”
but, all is slow ! very slow ! i don’t know why.
i may don’t use mesa, is that important ?

thanks[/b]

Do you see nvidia logo when you start X ?

Have you checked that you are using 4.* Xfree not 3.* ?

Is there anything in log file ?

Check ldd gears to see that you are using nvidia libgl files

yes i’ve done all of that !
xfree4, nvidia drivers, nothing in the log.
my programm is linked with the nvidia drivers, and others couldn’t run, problem with ldconfig.
i didn’t succeed in linking -glut -lGLU and -lGL with the directories, so i must use -L/usr…
i’m lost

have you run glxinfo as root? you should see a line saying DRI enabled: yes and at the bottom some info on your gl drivers.

first ensure you have enabled DRI in the kernel… on menuconfig (or xconfig) go to character devices and select the Direct Rendering Manager (XFree86 4.1.0 and higher DRI support) and the 6 under that.

if dri is not enabled, put Load=“dri” under the modules in XF86Config-4 to load them

alternativley go to dri.sourcefourge.net and get your XF86Config-4 there…

also verify that the correct GL/MESA drivers are being used…

good luck

[This message has been edited by theweasel (edited 12-03-2001).]

small URL typo
it should read http://dri.sourceforge.net/

i was sure that dri must be disabled for nvidia cards. isn’t that true ? nvidia seems to make its own pilots independant from dri.
i don’t understand now

Originally posted by clee:
i was sure that dri must be disabled for nvidia cards. isn’t that true ? nvidia seems to make its own pilots independant from dri.
i don’t understand now

I think you don’t need DRI to be enable. But i’m unsure as my prog is slow.

you dont need dri enabled for the nvidia drivers. in fact, the nvidia readme says to dissable it. however, i would suggest removing all the libGL.so files from your harddrive, and re-installing the nvidia-GLX package. often, the mesa versions of the libs end up in some strange places that people dont find, so they dont get removed, and people link to them, instead of the proper nvidia ones.

i know you said you removed the mesa libs, but i would run a search on your entire file system, remove all the ones you find (even if you think they are nvidia versions) and re-install the GLX package.

If you had nothing wrong on the X log file, this is certainly that your progs are linked against soft versions of opengl. check it with “ldd ./monprog” and check that the libGL is the one from Nvidia.
Beware also that if there is already a libGL in the place where nvidia’s libGL wants to copy itself at install, the README says there could be problems. So move it around before make install if its the case.

If the version the progrs are linked against are not the good one (either MESA or XFree4 ones (wich are, in fact, MESA again)), just add at the begining of your LD_LIBRARY_PATH the path to nvidia’s lib.

If it’s not a library problem, perhaps you compiled demo programs which uses unknown extensions. Things could go very slow in this case.

Thanks for reply Spiral Man and rixed.
i thought weel about DRI that isn’t need.
ldd returns a /usr/X11R6/lib opengl files, and they are nvidia ones.
But i found some other in /usr/lib (don’t understand why?) it feels like a big bad done from me.
Then, you suggest to remove all, and to reinstall, first glx, and nvidia’s. OK.
On some other forums it appears that glx1.3 is not well because of GLU1.3 that is not supported. Then glx1.2 ?
ok thanks
the clee

ok, im not sure what you are asking, but essentially, the nvidia drivers do not support glx 1.3, they support glx 1.2, which is painfully behind (glx 1.2 goes with GL 1.1)and i have this feeling they arent planning on changing that…

This topic was automatically closed 183 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.