nVidia Driver?

Has anyone tried the new Drivers?

I installed the new NVidia 1512 Driver on my two computers that have NVidia chips.

One is a GTS 2 64 Meg. It seems to work nicer, but I need to do some benchmarks.

The other is a dell 8000 laptop with a geforce go. It seems much improved with the new driver. Now 24 bit works in 1600x1200. It was only working in 16 before. It also has stopped crashing on an X server restart. I tried TV Out / twin view, and it works perfectly using the svideo connector to my Tv.

Jamie

So what’s the problem? hehehe. Personaly, I wish they would have held out on the release, and got OpenGL 1.3 in there. Then they could have released them right along side their Windows 1.3 drivers (21.81). But I agree, these new drivers kick mucho ass despite not having OpenGL 1.3.

You really got them working? I have severe problems with the robustness of the drivers.
Machine locks after some time, not beeing able to switch consoles.
The systems used are a dual PIII/1Gig with VIA Apollo Pro with a GF3 and a TB950 KT133 with a GF2GTS. I have tried NVAGP 0|1|2
There have also been warnings on the performer mailing list not to use this driver.

So my question towards NVIDIA is, as there seem to be some severe problems, when will a fixed driver be released? (Maybe with OGL1.3 ;-))

(I want to express my deepest regret and sincerest apologies with the american nation and all affected by this ruthless and terrible act of terrorism)

Originally posted by amendol:
[b]Has anyone tried the new Drivers?

I installed the new NVidia 1512 Driver on my two computers that have NVidia chips.

One is a GTS 2 64 Meg. It seems to work nicer, but I need to do some benchmarks.

The other is a dell 8000 laptop with a geforce go. It seems much improved with the new driver. Now 24 bit works in 1600x1200. It was only working in 16 before. It also has stopped crashing on an X server restart. I tried TV Out / twin view, and it works perfectly using the svideo connector to my Tv.

Jamie
[/b]

I may have to take back some of my praise.

I have been getting some strange errors on the laptop.
When I resize a window, something seems to get corrupt. Window frames get filled with garbage. Also the OpenGL app seems to get roasted. Where there was a nicely modeled planet or station, there is now just a jumble of triangles. Resizing over and over sometimes fixes it, but the garbage in the frame only goes away on a restart of X.

Also 24 bit mode workes, but is extreemly slow when there is lots of fill. I see this when I use a partical system with textures pasted to the particals, and the particals close to the camera, so they fill a large portion of the screen.

The desktop does not show any of these problems.

Jamie

I have these drivers working perfecltly. perhaps its you distro. I use suse7.2

Originally posted by wryken:
I have these drivers working perfecltly. perhaps its you distro. I use suse7.2

I use RedHat 7.1 and have no problms with my GeForce 2 MX.

I’ve had nothing but trouble with the new drivers. I get loads of this in the logs :

GetModeLine - hdsp: 1024 hbeg: 1040 hend: 1136 httl: 1312
vdsp: 768 vbeg: 769 vend: 772 vttl: 800 flags: 5
(II) [GLX]: Updating NV driver (scrn 0) with 1 contexts, 0 drawables
(II) [GLX]: Updating NV driver (scrn 0) with 1 contexts, 1 drawables

and then it crashed the whole X server :

Fatal server error:
Caught signal 11. Server aborting

anyone else have this???

Originally posted by unixcrab:
[b]I’ve had nothing but trouble with the new drivers. I get loads of this in the logs :

GetModeLine - hdsp: 1024 hbeg: 1040 hend: 1136 httl: 1312
vdsp: 768 vbeg: 769 vend: 772 vttl: 800 flags: 5
(II) [GLX]: Updating NV driver (scrn 0) with 1 contexts, 1 drawables

and then it crashed the whole X server :

Fatal server error:
Caught signal 11. Server aborting

anyone else have this???[/b]

I have seen this when using the k login, kdm. I switched to gdm and all is fine now.

Jamie

Try to install new nvidia dirvers 1541.

I made a little check with Q3 and the result was better in linux than Windows. If the machine locks after some time can you try to change the AGP setting in XF86Config-4

This topic was automatically closed 183 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.