OpenGL Windows Open, But No Graphics

Now, here is an unusal problem, and I don’t even know how to begin to track it down.

glxgears will open up a window, and give me some amazing frame rates (1200fps!), but there are no gears in the GL window.

glxinfo reports that direct rendering is anbled.

This occurs regardless of login and (apparently) program versions. I’ve tried going back (to when it did work) and forward (to newer versions) and all of them seem to have the same issues.

As a result, I know I’ve done something, but I have no idea just what I did. If somebody could at least point me to something to look at, it would be appreciated.

My system configuration:

XFree86 4.2.1
ATI Radeon All-In-Wonder (Drivers: GATOS experimental 16)
Debian unstable

More info available as requested

Did you do a system update lately(apt-get update)?I hear debian unstable has been a little,… well unstable lately. Also that experimental in the drivers string might have something to do with it.

I did indeed. And I’m doing one right now, in fact, since I’m seeing updates in the xserver area are available again. Hoping that will fix it.

And the experimental in the driver string… Well, I’ve been using experimental 15 for a while without any problem. And downgrading back to that version had no effect.

Unfortunately, that did not fix it. Does anybody happen to have any idea on what the fix might be? I’m pretty sure it had something to do with mesa getting upgraded, but am not (at this point) sure of how to fix it.

Any suggestions?

Can’t you go back to your last working X version?Mesa is in the xlibs now so that should fix it.And be careful with tha unstable stuff.I know the stable distro gets reallt ols after a while but it sometimes is better than wasting your time struggling with broken packages.Now that I remember it a friend of mine had problems with X crashing randomly after an upgrade lately…

I’m getting ready to just go ahead and download XFree4.3.0, and install it from source code. The debianized packages are nice, but I really want gl to work, and they’re not doing it. So, I’ll fix it manually, and put those packages on hold.

And you’re right about unstable. It can get very bad. Normally, I stick with testing, but I needed the latest alsa for other programs (mythtv being one of them). So, I’ll switch on over to XFree4.3.0 (assuming it’s out, otherwise whatever the latest 4.2 is), and switch back to testing. Here’s hoping that it fixes it.

I’m not sure wether the packages are the problem.I’d bet on X itself.But you might want to consider the X sources package, or as I said, downgrading X.Do you need the last version that bad?

Well, it’s time to admit defeat. I’ve gone with XFree86 4.2.0 (which was working), to the updated driver (which, again, was working), and rebuilt.

Still no go. Anybody have any ideas on what I can do to fix this?

Just so everybody knows, this problem is now resolved. It seems to have been an incompatibility with gcc 3.2. By upgrading to XF864.3.0, everything works correctly now.

Thank you all for you suggestions. They did actually help me out.

This topic was automatically closed 183 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.