GL with Radeon 64MB DDR Hangs/Crashs my Linux system. Please Help

Hi,

I have an ATI Radeon 64MB DDR VIVO AGP and am dual booting my computer with Win 98 and Linux (Mandrake). The problem is, anything on Linux with “GL” after it eill hang my computer. Anything will crash it. I tried opening up in the configuration meni under KDE the screensaver option and I chose ? GL thinking it would nit have any problems but if it did it wouldn’t be bad. Instead, my system hanged. I could move the mouse but nothing else worked. I left it for 15 mins thinking it would right itself but it didn’t and I had to hit the reset button.
What can I do to fix this? My card works fine under Win 98. I went to the XFree site and really didn’t understan what they meant.
So, if someone knows how to fix this, could you please contact me somehow? I love this card! I am a total fan of it. And the weird thing is, my screen is fine and the Linux setup found it. I’m using Mandrake 8.1 if that helps.

Thanks for reading,

Adrian

If you use mandrake 8.x and XFree86 4.x there is a big chance that you are using experimental drivers with 3d acceleration ( for all the boards ) and thay just suck ( as the mandrake distribution ).
Just search for Redeon drivers for XF86 4.x.
the best way to do it is tool search the news at www.linuxgames.com.

BTW.Move to better distriution…like SuSE )

This topic was automatically closed 183 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.