A Linux newbie needs some help

I am new to the Linux and OpenGL stuff, but I have to do a small project in C++ with some graphical visualization.
So far I chose Ubuntu Breezy Badger as Distribution, g++ - C++ compiler, GTKmm - GUI, GLUT - graphical visualization.
I have the following questions:

1. Is GLUT free of charge? Do I have to explicitely announce its usage in my program?
  2. As I will use GTKmm for the interface, I guess I will need a C++ binding for GLUT. Can you recommend such one? It needs to have a C++ look - I like it much better :slight_smile:
  3. What are the basic differencies between a Linux OpenGL and a Windows application? I read there are several different headers, and other names of the functions?
  4. What IDE can you suggest me? (this includes editor and automatic make).
    Thank you in advance!
  1. freeglut is free of charge. And as for all libraries that are not ‘vital’ to the system, you’d better tell what are the dependencies of your program.

2. I don’t know any glut bindings for C++. However, as you use gtk, try this:
    http://gtkglext.sourceforge.net/
    There is a version for C++ (gtkglextmm).

3. Yes headers can be different, mainly the glx.h for Linux and wgl.h for Windows. But as you’ll use glut or gtkglext, it won’t be a problem for you.
    However, some extensions functions might not be the same (some are specific for Windows, other for GLX).

4. I personally don’t use any IDE at all. But I’ve tried out Kdevelop years ago which was not so bad.

Thank you very much for the answer! :slight_smile:

This topic was automatically closed 183 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.