View Full Version : A Linux newbie needs some help

02-18-2006, 09:51 PM
I am new to the Linux and OpenGL stuff, but I have to do a small project in C++ with some graphical visualization.
So far I chose Ubuntu Breezy Badger as Distribution, g++ - C++ compiler, GTKmm - GUI, GLUT - graphical visualization.
I have the following questions:
1. Is GLUT free of charge? Do I have to explicitely announce its usage in my program?
2. As I will use GTKmm for the interface, I guess I will need a C++ binding for GLUT. Can you recommend such one? It needs to have a C++ look - I like it much better :)
3. What are the basic differencies between a Linux OpenGL and a Windows application? I read there are several different headers, and other names of the functions?
4. What IDE can you suggest me? (this includes editor and automatic make).
Thank you in advance!

02-19-2006, 04:50 AM
1. freeglut is free of charge. And as for all libraries that are not 'vital' to the system, you'd better tell what are the dependencies of your program.

2. I don't know any glut bindings for C++. However, as you use gtk, try this:
There is a version for C++ (gtkglextmm).

3. Yes headers can be different, mainly the glx.h for Linux and wgl.h for Windows. But as you'll use glut or gtkglext, it won't be a problem for you.
However, some extensions functions might not be the same (some are specific for Windows, other for GLX).

4. I personally don't use any IDE at all. But I've tried out Kdevelop years ago which was not so bad.

02-19-2006, 06:25 AM
Thank you very much for the answer! :)