GLX extension not supported by display

Hello,

i’ve just changed from suse to redhat(6.2) and thought i had it all set up properly. Compiling former programms is no problem, but if i want to run them i get this error:

“GLUT: Fatal Error in test: OpenGL GLX extension not supported by display: :0”

as mentioned above im running redhat on a PII with a voodooII.
ive installed mesa, the 3dfx device, the glidecontroll package, the glide package for my voodooII, the glide sdk and a package glx???.rpm which i found in the powertools dir of the redhat distibution.
I hope anyone can tell me what could have gone wrong or what i’ve forgotten to install.

thanks

Nils

Compiling requires that you have the header files and libraries installed properly.

But to run the GL binaries you need the glx module loaded when you start X. Somewhere in your installation you should have modified your XF86Config to load the glx.so module.

/skw|d

Uhh, so i have to recompile the X server and include the glx files? I only installed the x server packages that came on the cd.

The GLX module is seperate from the X Server. I got mine when I installed the latest nVidia drivers for my hardware.

/skw|d

Open /etc/X11/XF86config in emacs, vi or any editor:

There should be a section modules:

Section “Module”

Load “glx”

Many times, the line Load “glx” is commented out.

The glx module should be included in the binary distribution.

Thanks, that worked so far.
There was no module section in my xf86config. After adding it i can run my programms, but the screen turns black and the whole system hangs, after starting it.

Originally posted by Nils:
There was no module section in my xf86config. After adding it i can run my programms, but the screen turns black and the whole system hangs, after starting it.

Originally posted by gluser:

Originally posted by Nils:

sorry for empty forms (newby)

try to delete every GL-libs first. especially in /usr/X11R6/lib/ the libGL.so* and links to libMesaGL.so.* if thea exist and in /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/extensions the libglx.* they comes with the XFree86-4.0x by default based on Mesa…

after that apply the nvidia-GLX-rpm again, start the xserver and check if in /var/log/XFree86.0.log
the line
(II) Module glx: vendor=“NVIDIA Corporation”
should exist and “xdpyinfo | grep GLX” reports:
GLX
NV-GLX
NVIDIA-GLX

than all should work without problems. I use rh-6.2 too and have no problems. if you have non-intel chipset it is possible that you disable agp-support to run. check the man from nvidia for this toppic please.

good luck

I also have similar problem. I have two computers, one is installed Win2000, the other is installed Linux. I use X-window emulator as Xserver in Win to display client programs in Linux. That client program contains the GLUT codes. My X emulator can normally display 3D pics. That X server emulator(Xwin32) doesn’t support GLX. Linux box is only installed GLUT but isn’t installed GLX extension. Why it can nomrally display? According to OpenGL rules, if you want display OpenGL render on Xwindow, you must install GLX extentsion.

P.S. I never install MESA in the Linux box.
The Version of Xserver in linux is 3.3.6.

But I install GLUT in SGI Irix. I use also use Xserver emulator as Xserver, the GLUT demo program as client. The demos programs is as same as the program in Linux, but it is recompiled in Irix. The X emulator can’t normally display OpenGL render at this testing. It got error messages
“GLUT: Fatal Error in atlantis:OpenGL GLX extension not supported by display: 140.120.1.2:0.0”

What is difference about the two case?
The same GLUT(Ver 3.7), the same demos program(atlantis), why does one need GLX, another doesn’t need ? Can Anyone explain it in detail?

This topic was automatically closed 183 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.