OpenGL Performance

Hi,

I’m experiencing a few problems with OpenGL on my Gentoo Linux box.

I get about 600 FPS when running glxgears, however, the animation tends to start and stop every couple of seconds. I detected this problem whilst attempting to play RtCW, which made it unplayable.

I’m using the nVidia 43.63 driver (GeForce 2 MX 400), which has a GL version of 1.4.

Can anyone help?

Cheers,

David

If you’ve executed glinfo and checked that the new drivers were correctly installed, I’d rather suggest to look at other system configuration. What is your system specs ?

My guess is that you have access to your hard disk configured without DMA.
1: Do you have hdparm installed?
2: Do you have compiled kernel by yourself?

hi!

try /usr/sbin/opengl-update.

good luck,
Tolga Dalman.

Greets!
I wonder has anybody found the solution to this problem yet? I notice the problem also - my GeForce 3ti500 with an Athlon XP1900 reports 7900 fps for glxgears (default size) but pauses briefly about once or so per second. TuxRacer exhibits similar jerkiness.

glinfo reports (among more) this:
GL_VERSION: 1.4.0 NVIDIA 43.63
GL_RENDERER: GeForce3/AGP/SSE/3DNOW!
GL_VENDOR: NVIDIA Corporation
GLU_VERSION: 1.3

XFree86 version 4.2.0-8 on Red Hat 7.3 kernel 2.4.18-27.7

Any help would be good, thanks!

Pardon me, I meant 7900/5 FPS (1580 fps)

Also, hdparm reports DMA is ON for all disks, including CD drive

Does the same problem occur if you turn frame syncing on (vsync)?

Dan

hey,

<QUOTE>
I wonder has anybody found the solution to this problem yet? I notice the problem also - my GeForce 3ti500 with an Athlon XP1900 reports 7900 fps for glxgears (default size) but pauses briefly about once or so per second. TuxRacer exhibits similar jerkiness.

glinfo reports (among more) this:
GL_VERSION: 1.4.0 NVIDIA 43.63
GL_RENDERER: GeForce3/AGP/SSE/3DNOW!
GL_VENDOR: NVIDIA Corporation
GLU_VERSION: 1.3

XFree86 version 4.2.0-8 on Red Hat 7.3 kernel 2.4.18-27.7
</QUOTE>

my system:

glxinfo gives:

OpenGL vendor string: NVIDIA Corporation
OpenGL renderer string: GeForce4 MX 440/PCI/SSE/3DNOW!
OpenGL version string: 1.4.0 NVIDIA 43.63

glu version: 1.3

i’m running XFree86 Version 4.3, Linux kernel 2.5.70, gcc 3.3, glibc 2.3.2.
btw, hdparm (resp. DMA) shouldn’t have to do anything with that.

glxgears has about 8000 frames (as for you), but else, i have no performance problems. quake and other opengl apps run perfectly, so it might be an X problem with windowed opengl-apps. does anyone have a suggestion?

brg,
Tolga Dalman.

Greets!
I may have the answer, for myself at least.
In /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 I added the following line to the Section “Module”

Load GLcore

When this was done I now see a doubling in speed of glxgears, and no perceptible pauses. Tuxracer also plays smoothly. I will test this further with Quake, when I locate my installation disk (it has been some time since playing this).

Thank you all for your assistance. I hope your problem Captain Large Face is also fixed in this manner.

Dan82181: How do I set this vsync? I do not see where to put this in XF86config-4 but perhaps there is another place?

[This message has been edited by ruralmyth (edited 06-07-2003).]

This topic was automatically closed 183 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.