View Full Version : Video Card Poll

01-25-2001, 08:55 AM
What is the best high-end video card? The card must of course run under linux and I need something that is flies with textures. Money is not much of an object as I'm currently looking at the ELSA Gloria III. Anyone have any favorites?

01-26-2001, 08:15 AM
If cost is not an issue then the Wildcat frome 3Dlabs is a good bet.
I may be hard to find this since they do not seem to sell them as standalone cards but only as part of workstations you may have some luck geting a uesed one but still expet to pay $2000 or more http://www.opengl.org/discussion_boards/ubb/frown.gif

Or the Oxygen model frome the same company may be easer to find.

[This message has been edited by Validus (edited 01-26-2001).]

01-27-2001, 06:28 PM
i dont think the wildcat works in linux, or the oxygen. i have played with the firegl 1 and its comming along nicely so the firegl 2 or 3 may be what your looking for. its not an appliance yet, i actually had to go through a little effort to get it working and hardware gamma correction does not work (yet, theyre looking into that) but i know from its use in NT that its a solid card that did not cut corners or leave out things like the overlay plane (the gloria III has that problem, seems to be common to all nvidia chips)

01-27-2001, 08:15 PM
Ah, the may be true I forgot to check that out, pixel fairy is right there are no drivers for the oxygen or wildcat yet but 3dlabs sayes that thay are working on it.
sorry I should have checked that out first

01-29-2001, 10:38 AM
Thanks guys.... looks like price was a little more important then I was led to believe. Getting the Elsa Synergy III and probably the Hercules 3D Prophet II Ultra.

01-30-2001, 01:58 PM
BE WARNED: Those high-end graphics boards you mentioned are for 3D MODELLING! That means real-time updating of WIREFRAME MODELS!
They are NOT used for texturing. The best boards for moving texture-mapped stuff around the screen are the nVidia offerings.

In a recent net magazine test, I read that running Q3A at 1600x1200x32, max detail, the FireGL ran at _10FPS_! and the GeForce2 Ultra ran at about _30fps_! I am not certain on these figures, but they do sum up the difference in targeting.

However, in moving a 1 bazillion (or something) polygon model around the screen, the FireGL was about 60fps, and the GeForce2 about 10!

Note: Do NOT quote me on these figures! They are from memory only. They may not be accurate, but I am pretty certain that the differences in performance are. But still, I am not responsible for what you do. Do some reading (check the archives at www.tomshardware.com). (http://www.tomshardware.com).)