New job, working in Linux

Hi. I recently got a new job where I have to develop on Linux using OpenGL. I am a Windows guy pretty proficient with Direct3D. Anyway, I have been searching the internet for the last hour looking for OpenGL v2.0 for Linux (to download headers and libraries), but so far all I have found are links to download the specification.(!?)

I am used to the HLSL, and plan to work with GLSL, but am a bit stymied in my inability to find the libraries. The OpenGL.org page doesn’t seem to help and some of the links in the FAQ are broken.

So, where do I get download OpenGL 2.0 for Linux from? I am running Fedora Core and the current version of OpenGL that it has is v1.2 (1.5 Mesa 6.1).

Thanks!

So, which graphic card you are using? I recommend nvidia, the ATI drivers are not so good. The headers come with the nvidia card. You should use GLEW or a other extension library so your code is portable and can run also under windows etc… GLSL is part of OpenGL, no extra lib. The compiler is in the driver. I recommend that you buy the books OpenGL Pogramming Guide (red book) and OpenGL Shading Language (orange book).

I have the feeling that you think in windows terms but unix(linux) development is different.

Do you use a Widget Library, Qt, gtk+ etc.?

The old faq is well … old.
New stuff is happening on the technical wiki.

A quick answer is : get proper Opengl2.0 drivers from the card vendor. More details here :
http://www.opengl.org/wiki/index.php/Getting_started

Thanks, I downloaded and installed the latest nVidia drivers and I can see the new library and headers. The development laptop (temporary) that I have has a GeForce FX Go5200 in it.

Yes, Linux is different. I also downloaded Eclipse and the CDT plugin and I seem good to go now.

Thank you for your help!

No Widget library yet (or maybe not at all), we will be using GL Studio .

I have the red book and the superbible, I am waiting for the orange book.

Another question, because I am using a vendor provided library, will the code be able to run on other vendor’s cards?

Another question, because I am using a vendor provided library, will the code be able to run on other vendor’s cards?
Yes, provided you do the right thing and check for availability of GL extensions before using them. I would recommend GLEW :
http://glew.sourceforge.net/

This topic was automatically closed 183 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.