Is it possible to go into full screen mode in Linux

I’m thinking about doing some opengl stuff in linux and i was wondering if its possible to go into fullscreen mode like in windows. thanks in advance.

Yep - try using glut if you are just beginning - it’s a pretty simple switch…

Chris

Yes and if you feel like messing with xwindows get the glut source and find the game mode functions: http://reality.sgi.com/mjk/glut3/glut3.html

1. try SDL. www.libsdl.org
    its easy and can switch screen resolution

2. there is no fullscreen mode under windows with opengl, its just a maximised window without borders

-Lev

Hi,

1. there is no fullscreen mode under windows with opengl, its just a maximised window without borders

Afaik it works the same way under X11. At least that is how I did it in my ports of some of NeHe’s lessons. My code does basic resolution switching and allows to toggle fullscreen/window mode via F1.

If someone knows of an other (better) way to do fullscreen under X I would be glad to know…

bxe Miq

hanks fo rall the post you guys abviously have already compiled these programs in LInux, so can you tell me- what files so i need to put and where so i can compile in linux. i got opengl superbible and it came with a cd … damnit i just realized the linux files might be on the cd too with a readme. what a releive thanks anyway…

what hardware do you have? if its nvidia then go and download the driver from their site. Else you need mesa.

Then you might want to use some kind of window handling library (glut or SDL)
I prefer SDL.

That should make it. just link with libGL libGLU libSDL libpthread and it should work

This topic was automatically closed 183 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.