Strange artifacts with glCopyTexImage2D and glCopyTexSubImage2D with nvidia drivers

I tried to create texture based on reading a buffer (here the front buffer). I got it to work pretty well but I encounter some strange things.

The one involved in this thread is a problem of artifacts. Indeed, when I run the program, the gl window is fine, but the desktop (I’m not in fullscreen) encounters some disruptions, like little wavings about 1 up to 5 pixels on almost the whole screen (but the gl window). This artifact can be seen well on the text on a tty. If I disable making a texture from the buffer, there’s no more artifacts.

I wonder what could produce that. Maybe my program is not well (I don’t think so), or maybe it’s a system dependant bug.

My system: linux 2.6.10 compiled myself with several specific options, Nvidia geforce fx, drivers nvidia 1.0-7167 using agpgart (SIS 746), g++ 3.4.3.
I use glut for this program.

Here is the code involved:

unsigned char	pixel_data[3*512*512];

// init function
memset (pixel_data,0xff,3*512*512*sizeof (unsigned char));
glEnable (GL_TEXTURE_2D);
glGenTextures (1, &texture);
glBindTexture (GL_TEXTURE_2D, texture);
glTexImage2D ( GL_TEXTURE_2D, 0,GL_RGB,512,512,0, GL_RGB,GL_UNSIGNED_BYTE, pixel_data);
glTexParameteri (GL_TEXTURE_2D, GL_TEXTURE_MIN_FILTER, GL_NEAREST);
glTexParameteri (GL_TEXTURE_2D, GL_TEXTURE_MAG_FILTER, GL_NEAREST);
glTexParameteri (GL_TEXTURE_2D, GL_TEXTURE_WRAP_S, GL_CLAMP);
glTexParameteri (GL_TEXTURE_2D, GL_TEXTURE_WRAP_T, GL_CLAMP);

//display function
glEnable (GL_TEXTURE_2D);
glBindTexture (GL_TEXTURE_2D, texture);
//glCopyTexSubImage2D (GL_TEXTURE_2D, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 512, 512);
glCopyTexImage2D (GL_TEXTURE_2D, 0, GL_RGB, 0,0, 512,512, 0);

Ps:

#1: notice that this code doesn’t take the whole buffer since I read only a 512512 buffer (the window is 800600). I’ll have a look later on how to snap the whole screen in a texture, but this is not the topic of this thread.

#2: I’ll surely post more specific things. I’m gonna look if glut has something to do with this issue even if I’m sure it doesn’t.

As I thought glut isn’t the problem here.

That provokes portions of the screen where there’s not the gl window to have little and slight wavings.

Anything will be appreciated.

This topic was automatically closed 183 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.