GUI

Hi,

which GUI do you suggest me to use under linux to develop an opengl app ???

I’m coding a little application test (well, it should be considered a porting of an old application of mine made under Win32) and i have to choose how to manage sound, audio etc. etc.

Is SDL a good choice ???

I DON’T want to make a choice that obbligates me to write dirty code (i would like to write - if it’s possibile - PURE OPENGL CODE, no external tools wanted), i would like to use Standard C++ and few tools that allow me to manage I/O (eg.: mouse) and a little sound.

In Win32 i used DirectInput & DirectSound.

Under linux (Slackware) what do you suggest me to use ?

Thanks in advance.

May be u can use the www.trolltech.com library called Qt. Thats depends of what u have to implement

I have to create an application that show many solids in 3d.

So i need only to open a window and to have a way to manage user actions (navigate in the world shown above).

The image show will be analysed by a neural network.

That’s the application.

How much GUI do you need?

If you need the minimal amount, just an OpenGL window then you can use glut. glut is a little dated, and I’m not sure how many are using it right now. I still use it as I have little need for much GUI, and have little desire to change to glfw / SDL. – Also it has a very, very simple API.

– So you may also want to look at glfw which gives you basic window opening features – I believe that this is the case, but I have never used it.

– SDL is good if you need to use sound, and would like a simple API. – There are lots of utilities that can go along with it if you need them. I have used this one and I recomend it. Many games have been ported from windows to linux through the use of SDL.

The topic, “GUI” makes it sound like you need widgets. If this is the case, then you can get some simple widgets through glut, or a huge amount of widgets through Qt.

Jamie

[This message has been edited by amendol (edited 11-24-2003).]

amendol wrote:
The topic, “GUI” makes it sound like you need widgets. If this is the case, then you can get some simple widgets through glut

?!

I need some very simple widgets in my little glut programs. Can you tell me what widgets are available with glut? Looking through the glut docs, I see info on menus, but no widgets.

[This message has been edited by jmg (edited 11-25-2003).]

Originally posted by jmg:
[b]amendol wrote:
The topic, “GUI” makes it sound like you need widgets. If this is the case, then you can get some simple widgets through glut

?!

I need some very simple widgets in my little glut programs. Can you tell me what widgets are available with glut? Looking through the glut docs, I see info on menus, but no widgets.

I guess it depends on your definition of a widget
http://doc.trolltech.com/2.3/qpopupmenu.html

In this case the popup menu inherits from a QFrame which inherits from a QWidget…

[This message has been edited by amendol (edited 11-28-2003).]

> I guess it depends on your definition of a widget. :slight_smile:

Ahh.

Actually, I suppose I could write my own using selection and picking…

This topic was automatically closed 183 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.