EXT_texture_compression_s3tc

How to open, save, texture picture resources saved in this format? What I know is that compressed with “EXT_texture_compression_s3tc” picture resources can be saved in .DDS files but how this happens under linux? Please help.

Generally I want to use 16 bit images for texturing withouth having to convert them to 24 or 32 bit. I found that the only way to do this is to use some of the compressed pictures format. I am interested in s3tc because I read that it produces best results. Well I might be wrong and if you know another way for doing it I will be grateful to hear it.

How to open, save, texture picture resources saved in this format?
If you need the code to load it from disk, you can find it on the net but I raccomand to just download the DXTC file reference from MSDN. This is what I did and it worked just fine.

What I know is that compressed with “EXT_texture_compression_s3tc” picture resources can be saved in .DDS files
Which is wrong. You can’t jsut dump a texture array to disk and say it’s a DDS file, see above.
Under linux you’ll have to provide some wraparounds because the lack of enumerated values (you really don’t want to include windows.h or d3d.h in linux projects don’t you?).

Generally I want to use 16 bit images for texturing withouth having to convert them to 24 or 32 bit
I suggest to use uncompressed images first, and then add support for compression. You’ll find it very similar. Seek for the internal format specification. Use RGB565 or RGBA4444 and the image will take 16bit per pixel. Look at TexImage spec.

I am interested in s3tc because I read that it produces best results.
Context dependant. Soemtimes it can give you the worse results.
I know I have some interesting links here but I don’t know where I put them (doh)!

I also have an implementation ready to go, so I tell you by experience. You can do this in a couple of days if you’re smart and focused enough.

This topic was automatically closed 183 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.