What kind of card I should buy, ATI or NVIDIA?

I am new in openGL programming. I wonder which card is better for openGL programming under RedHat 7.3. (“Better” means it is easier to install drivers … :slight_smile: )

Please tell me your opinion and experience with these two cards. I do appreciat your helps!

I don’t think you should base your opinion on how easy it is to install some drivers.

You’ll only be doing that once
(or not that often at least)

Better base it on how fast/stable/youknowwhatmore the drivers are.

Anyway, I vote for NVIDIA since I haven’t used an ATi card anymore since the erm… man, I can’t even remember that anymore.

Installation isn’t hard, just be sure to read the README (not only the first or last 3 lines).

And the latest NVIDIA drivers didn’t make my X crash even once, so I guess they’re pretty much rock solid
(altough there are some performance problems with the 2D part, but that’s going to be solved with the next release (you can always use the 3x.xx drivers instead, which are also pretty good))

Oh, and that’s only for the 2D part with the current drivers!

The implemenation of OpenGL 1.4 + NV Extensions is totally C O O L and very fast.

Next month the new nvidia card is comming out the nvidia fx. Im waiting for that and then getting that. nvidia is apparently going to support linux as much as win(at least thats what they say) Also read the readme but also compiler your drivers or they usally wont work

Yep, you guy are right. I should not judge it according the easyness of installation. I really feel pissed off by installing the latest NVIDIA driver 4191. Could you tell me which distribution of Linux and what kind of NVIDIA video card you are using? Thanks

Im using the nvidia geforce 2 mx/pro on redhat 8.0 fully upgraded. The thing with the drivers are that there built for the kernel that comes with linux when you first install it not after updates. Many times even if you dont change the kernel the driver wont work(precompiled). But the simpal way to fix this is to download the source code and compile it on your computer. Then do everything the readme says. Remember everytime after that you upgrade/recompile your kernel you will have to recompile the nvidia drivers. Its not a big deal takes you 10sec.

I’m using a GeForce3 Ti 200 and Red Hat 8.0 (both the default RH8 kernel and a custom 2.5 kernel with a patch applied to the NVIDIA drivers to make it work with 2.5)

I’ve installed them for both targets from source.
(just a simple ‘make’ as root)

Originally posted by nukem:
Next month the new nvidia card is comming out the nvidia fx. Im waiting for that and then getting that. nvidia is apparently going to support linux as much as win(at least thats what they say)

Well, I can imagine they would like to support Linux so that they could use it to show off their GeForce FX (or any other new card) to the public without having Windows (XP!) to crash on them…

ATI has good drivers for r300 chipset… for earlier cards it is terrible!!!

If you can spend a litte bit… for a R300 … then I would take it. Otherwise NVIDIA still rocks.

Thanks a lot for your suggestions, guys. I decide to get a GeForce3 card. It’s not that new, but enough for my requirement. :slight_smile:

This topic was automatically closed 183 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.