ATI HLSL to GLSL

http://www.macworld.com/news/2006/11/10/hlsl2glsl/index.php

I find it amazing that ATI finds the time to create such a useless tool but can’t find the time to give us proper OpenGL 2.0 drivers that includes PBO support,etc.

hmmph…

No… thats great tool. Now it will be easier to convert shaders code between API’s and platforms.

lol no love for ATI, even when they do something for GL. come on…
nice and useful imo.

PBOs are on the way.

when?

Well, it’s implemented, but it takes a while for it to trickle down into public drivers, so January would be my guess.

hmmm, do you know if there is anyone I could talk to get a beta of a driver with PBO support in?

I’m about to start on a research project for the final year of my degree which is doing heavy shader and R2VB work; right now D3D is looking like the API of choice however this would swing things back in OpenGL’s favour (and would be my prefered choice due to familiarity with the API)

If it’s for research, you may want to try this:
http://www.atitech.com/companyinfo/researcher/index.html

cheers

Originally posted by Humus:
PBOs are on the way.
Can you give me an example of why I would ever use PBOs instead of FBOs?

Can you give me an example of why I would ever use PBOs instead of FBOs?
Because they both do completely and totally different things? PBOs allow you to copy into buffer objects and have texture upload happen from buffer objects. FBOs are about rendering to framebuffers and textures.

Where’s the overlap? Until you can actually bind a texture as a buffer or bind a buffer as a texture, these are two separate constructs.

Originally posted by Korval:
[b] [quote]Can you give me an example of why I would ever use PBOs instead of FBOs?
Because they both do completely and totally different things? PBOs allow you to copy into buffer objects and have texture upload happen from buffer objects. FBOs are about rendering to framebuffers and textures.

Where’s the overlap? Until you can actually bind a texture as a buffer or bind a buffer as a texture, these are two separate constructs. [/b][/QUOTE]Right, I am mixing pbuffers and PBOs.