Does anyone have or know where to find...

I need some font sets for my billboarding engine. I know I have the Quake TGA somewhere, but I really don’t like it that much for my engine. I’d prefer a thinner font set, plus possibly a couple different ones to use.

So, does anybody have any, or know where to find them? They’re just too tedious to make by hand.

Siwko

There’s a font tutorial on nehe.gamedev.net.It comes with a complete font set in tga format.Have a look.

Go to http://nehe.gamedev.net and download LMNOpc Bitmap Font Builder. it will let you create font sets for .tga or .bmp. its a great program.

Yeah, when I found it I thought it was great but I can’t get the TGA’s to load they seem to be full of errors, sometimes the texture ends up white. Also I have a general problem with TGA in the the alpha channel is very strange- windows always insists that there is no transparency and my app wont make the transparent parts transparent when I use alpha test. Also if I click on properties with a TGA in windoze after 20 seconds explorer will crash.

Loads of other strange things happen with TGA fles on my PC !!!

Wow… I didn’t know they had that.

I never had problems with TGA’s, but I prefer BMP files anyway. It’s just as easy to handle transparency with a 24-bit bitmap anyway. A little array flexing and you’re done.

Thanks all!

Siwko

I guess its just me, but everytime I see an application using bmp files my mind says “bad code”.
I actually dunno why, but I prefer applications with some other image format.

Seeing an application with .TGA and .JPG files make my mind go “great code!”.

Originally posted by Hull:
[b]I guess its just me, but everytime I see an application using bmp files my mind says “bad code”.
I actually dunno why, but I prefer applications with some other image format.

Seeing an application with .TGA and .JPG files make my mind go “great code!”.

[/b]

When I see an app using jpegs, my mind says “Waste of processing decompressing it and bad image quality.” When I see an app that uses TGA’s, my mind says “Old image format, old app.”

To each his own I guess.

BTW: the LMNOpc app doesn’t support antialiasing. Oh well… at least it does some font smoothing. Thanks again for the help!

Siwko

Yeah! If you’re not using wavelet compression, you’re nothing, man. (If you’re using fractal compression then you’re still okay.)