VBO and vertexprogram in software

I got strange results when i tried VBO on my gf4mx ( nforce2 )… normally it works as it should, increased FPS… But ehwn i tried bumpmap the fps dropped fast. Moving the vertexarrays back to the normal routines (bypass the VBO) restored the FPS again…
On my gf3 it worked fine all the time.

So the question is, Doenst gf4mx emulate the vertexprograms? and if so, can the slowdown depend on that it has to transfer data from agp/videomem, back tp system, calculate, and trasnfer it back? in that case they either must let the driver take care of this (using a ‘vertex shadow’ in systemmem if vertexprograms are active) or let the developer know that what will happen through a glget something, do that we can avoid this behaivor…

or maybe its just some bug in my code

VBO’s and software vertex programs are a bad combination. Typically, VBO memory is not memory that the CPU should read from. Of course, software vp’s requires the CPU to read from that memory. Hence the slowdown.

I don’t think nVidia is going to put too much driver emphesis on what to do with someone who is using software vertex programs.

I mean ‘Software vertex program’ as in that ARB_vertex_program are emulated with the CPU where the chip arent able to do it, but the driver is. (ie, the emulation is hidden to the developer)

With VBO, vertex data may be stored in the graphics card, but the vertex program software emulation has to be performed on the CPU side.
In that case, vertex programs computations need to download the vertex data from the graphics card to the CPU side every time ; and because AGP is optimized for upload (not for download), downloading vertex data every time is expensive.

The problem is: on cards that support vertex programs in software driver should support a copy of VBO in system memory to avoid performance slowdown.
How can I detect if vertex programs are supported in hardware howewer? If it’s impossible, than VBO makes not much sence for <<GL3 cards. I like to use both VBO and vertex programs in my programs, so I must be shure it will also work at all cards.
nVidia should really consider it.

I don’t think that “nVidia should consider it”. Every nVidia chip prior to NV20 emulates vertex programs in software. So when you detect a graphics card NVxx, if xx is inferior than 20 you may disable vertex programs.

I don’t think that “nVidia should consider it”. Every nVidia chip prior to NV20 emulates vertex programs in software. So when you detect a graphics card NVxx, if xx is inferior than 20 you may disable vertex programs.

Actually, I disgree on 2 parts.

First, I think you should turn off VBO before you turn off vertex programs. Given a moderately decent CPU, you can still get decent speed out of the feature. Also, I would imagine that the power of a vp is more important to the user (who has an older card) than the speed of VBO’s.

Secondly, there is no readily avaliable way to “detect a graphics card NVxx.” If nVidia isn’t going to expose a means of testing vertex-program-with-VAR/VBO performance, then their drivers should have to deal with the situation. Granted, I seriously doubt nVidia is going to spend significant driver developer resources on 2-year-old cards, but that’s the correct solution.

I agree with Korval in all points. vp is more important then VBO :slight_smile:

The problem is solvable on the driver-side, but I don’t expect this to be top-priority until apps using VBO appears on the market. The driver can make system memory copies for the CPU processing. The hard problem is to decide when to do that. The driver will have to track how each buffer is used and see whether it would be beneficial to make a system memory copy. For well-behaving apps this should be feasable.

Originally posted by Korval:
First, I think you should turn off VBO before you turn off vertex programs.

So far, I don’t remember having written that vertex programs should be disabled ‘before’ VBO.
Though, it all depends on the application (as usual) since sometimes quality is a must, and sometimes speed is a must.

Secondly, there is no readily avaliable way to “detect a graphics card NVxx.”

Even though I agree it still lacks some kind of glGetIntegerv(GL_CHIPSET_NV), you can actually check glGetString(GL_RENDERER) which gives IMO a sufficient information for the 4-5 years to come at least. And if your software survives that period, you still can deliver online a patch that tests brand new 2008 graphics cards.

Granted, I seriously doubt nVidia is going to spend significant driver developer resources on 2-year-old cards.

That is at least one point on which we agree

Originally posted by vincoof:
you can actually check glGetString(GL_RENDERER) which gives IMO a sufficient information for the 4-5 years to come at least.

Oh really? “Buzz/emulated by GeForce3/3DNow!/SSE/AGP”? Or you want me make a lexical analysis of the string in my program? That’s monstrous!
NVxx, GeForcex[-mx] and next drivers will probably write something new.

No, the opnly solution see at time is writing in your readme.txt:

"If you experiance low performnce and run GeForce1/2/4MX thry disabling option Use VBO in program options menu "

Eeeh, you should write it without all my mistakes. I really ought to do something with my spelling…

Greetings…

And this is by now means tied to just nVidia… All vendors can support VP with the CPU, and they can have VBO or other AGP extensions… should we know about all different vendors/cards? i dont think it has to be queryable, becourse this must be an issue in their DXdrivers aswell. And i bet its solved there.

Originally posted by Zengar:
Oh really? “Buzz/emulated by GeForce3/3DNow!/SSE/AGP”? Or you want me make a lexical analysis of the string in my program? That’s monstrous!

ROFL
Indeed, the string analysis is not that hard. And if the analysis fails (so messy that you can’t detect anything in the string) you still can fallback to default settings which, for instance, take for granted that the EXTENSIONS string only expose hardwired features.

Originally posted by Zengar:
“If you experiance low performnce and run GeForce1/2/4MX thry disabling option Use VBO in program options menu”

That’s a good thing too, but keep in mind that a consumer hates reading documentation, be it a short file README_NOW_OR_YOURE_DEAD_CHICKEN.txt or be it an holographic cover with nude girls on it.

Originally posted by Mazy:
should we know about all different vendors/cards?

Unfortunatelty, I think the answer is yes.

i dont think it has to be queryable, becourse this must be an issue in their DXdrivers aswell. And i bet its solved there.

Of course it’s solved. There’s no compatibility with different DX APIs, and the specification (for what we can call a spec) is closed, unlike “OpenGL” which is “opened”.

[This message has been edited by vincoof (edited 04-07-2003).]

Just to clarify, VBO was designed to be able to move/keep arrays in system memory when it could recognize that as the optimal location. It will probably take some time for drivers to be able to make this determination well, as the solution to this problem is non-trivial.

Thanks Cass, that was the anwer i (sort of) wanted… it doenst help me right now, but i guess that means that eventually the driver will recognise this scenario and i can go back to allways use VBO for my arrays.

( correct me if im totally wrong )

The implementation could choose to be a memory pig and just always keep the system memory copy, choosing to copy to AGP the first time the array is used, and again later if the AGP space has been re-used for something else.

Regarding detecting real vertex program support: if there are less than 4 texture units, vertex programs are emulated in software.

There is hardware where there are 4 units or more, where vertex programs are still emulated; Intel i845G for example. However, the i845 is unlikely to suffer a slowdown using VBO anyway, as it has no HT&L at all (might not even implement the extension).

[b]Thanks Cass, that was the anwer i (sort of) wanted… it doenst help me right now, but i guess that means that eventually the driver will recognise this scenario and i can go back to allways use VBO for my arrays.

( correct me if im totally wrong )[/b]

That’s the basic plan, Mazy. Hopefully in a few months VBO can be recommended without qualification.

Thanks -
Cass

Originally posted by vincoof:
That’s a good thing too, but keep in mind that a consumer hates reading documentation, be it a short file README_NOW_OR_YOURE_DEAD_CHICKEN.txt or be it an holographic cover with nude girls on it.

Oh, I can assure you: if consumer gets aboout 10 fps at his GeForce4 MX he WILL read readme only to find out what name does the sun of bitch who coded this application bear. That’s because you should write your name down near the TROUBLESHOUTING section. Or better inside it.