Realistic models in OpenGL

What’s the best way to load realistic models in OpenGL.

I have an obj model loader. Unfortunately it does not load textures. Does anyone know of any free 3D model loaders that loads textures? e.g. 3ds,dxf,softimage etc.

Is there any other way to display realistic models in OpenGL?

Thanks.

Vibi

There are many free 3d model loaders out there. the is an asc (or was it an ase) loader on nate.scuzzy.net. There is an obj loader at glvelocity.gamedev.net. Those are two that come to mind, but there are many out there.

Originally posted by Julio:
There are many free 3d model loaders out there. the is an asc (or was it an ase) loader on nate.scuzzy.net. There is an obj loader at glvelocity.gamedev.net. Those are two that come to mind, but there are many out there.

Thank you very much. It’s people like you who help make the world better by helping others.

Thank you very much. It’s interesting that you are the only one that replied. I had posted message in many site. Not one of them replied.

Thanks again. It means a lot to me. Looks like that’s what I was looking for.

i think i can help you out with an ase viewer because i’ve written one . it’s still under heavy development so there may be some problems when compiling (linux and windows with the same code). you just need glut (windows/linux) and gcc (linux), visual c or borland c builder to compile. currently it only reads sgi’s rgb files as textures. some more features:
-multitexturing support (with gl extension and without)
-sphere mapping support
-reads complete material definitions out of the ase file
-reads texture coordinates
-handles texture tiling
-…
so now look @ http://sourceforge.net/projects/aseview
any questions? write me to: jr2k@gmx.net

hope it works…

Thank you very much, MaxX. I am going to look into it.

Originally posted by MaxX:
[b] i think i can help you out with an ase viewer because i’ve written one . it’s still under heavy development so there may be some problems when compiling (linux and windows with the same code). you just need glut (windows/linux) and gcc (linux), visual c or borland c builder to compile. currently it only reads sgi’s rgb files as textures. some more features:
-multitexturing support (with gl extension and without)
-sphere mapping support
-reads complete material definitions out of the ase file
-reads texture coordinates
-handles texture tiling
-…
so now look @ http://sourceforge.net/projects/aseview
any questions? write me to: jr2k@gmx.net

hope it works…[/b]

Whoa! I can’t believe I missed your post!

I have a limited free version of my model .lib. It reads 3ds and md2 files and also optomizes models for faster rendering…and alot of other things.

You can get it at www.spider3d.com. Make sure you get the latest HOW-TO text 2. I’m planning on writing some tutorials when some RealLife™ jobs pass by.

i’ve added a windows release (source/binary) and some samples demonstrating multitexturing to my aseviewer.
if you are still interrested look @ http://sourceforge.net/projects/aseview/

THANK YOU VERRY MUCH!

YOU ARE NOT WHATEVER, YOU are the best-ever.

Thanks again.

Vibi

Originally posted by WhatEver:
[b]Whoa! I can’t believe I missed your post!

I have a limited free version of my model .lib. It reads 3ds and md2 files and also optomizes models for faster rendering…and alot of other things.

You can get it at www.spider3d.com. Make sure you get the latest HOW-TO text 2. I’m planning on writing some tutorials when some RealLife™ jobs pass by.[/b]