Nvidia driver problems?

Anyone here had any problems with nvidia drivers?

Someone says the recent drivers require DX8 for opengl to be able to create a context. Not sure what OS he is on.

I havent had this problem (DX8 was installed long ago). I just want to know what the story behind it is.

V-man

we had some problems using latest Detonators on Win98, the problem was the ChoosePixelFormat did not work and an error in DDHELP.EXE was raised, this mean CRASHING the app, not just being unable to find a PF.
Dunno, but DDHELP.EXE should be a DX file and our app doesn’t use DX at all.

The problem has been noticed by some friend of mine too, I wasn’t able to solve it, only disinstalling latest detonators and reinstalling some older versions…

At last I’ve installed Win2000 and all worked fine with latest drivers…

The tests where done on :

• Win98 + p3-900 + GF2MX + Latest Detonators + DX8.1

• Win98 + p3-1.6 + GF4 + Latest Detonators +DX8.1

• Win2000 + p3-900 + GF2MX + Latest Detontors + DX8.1

The only machine that not presented the problem was the last one…

Looking at the Debug output for one of my OpenGL apps, it loads D3D8.dll and ddraw.dll at the init time (Detonator XP)
Is there anything to stop the GL implementation from using ddraw to actually draw things?

The question was what happens without the DX8

I have DX8.1, and I too get crashes in DDHELP and afterwards, I get GDI generic. Sometimes, it brings down the whole system that’s why I rarely touch win98.
No, most drivers use ddraw so that means opengl renders on ddraw surfaces. Most drivers dont use D3D so even if you have DX3, opengl will work.

V-man

Originally posted by V-man:
[b]Anyone here had any problems with nvidia drivers?

Someone says the recent drivers require DX8 for opengl to be able to create a context. Not sure what OS he is on.

I havent had this problem (DX8 was installed long ago). I just want to know what the story behind it is.

V-man[/b]

Here you can find a possible explanation:
http://www.opengl.org/discussion_boards/ubb/Forum3/HTML/006112.html

[This message has been edited by evanGLizr (edited 05-27-2002).]