Making a ripple

Not sure if this belongs here, but hey, let’s give it a shot.

Basically I need a few ideas of how to make a moving ripple in a surface. A ripple like when you drop something on a smooth water surface.
Texturing is not required, but I can’t think of any way to pull this off.

TY

There are a few options.

1. Using geometry, use this function
    f(x, y)=sin(sqrt(x^2+y^2))
    PS : Animate x and y

2. Using textures, use the above function to render to texture.

3. Using textures, make a ripple texture and animate the quad on which it will be mapped by stretching the quad and dimishing the alpha.

If you want to ripple actual geometry, then you can either solve Navier-Stokes (google for that) or just simulate a mesh of elastically connected quads where nodes (quad corners) can only move up/down.

Try this simple demo (press space to make it “go”):
http://www.mindcontrol.org/~hplus/ripples.html

I’ve seen delphi code that uses a quad strip to draw a ripple. Does he basically lift the geometry in some place and connect them with the strip? Doesn’t that result in quads whose points are not coplanar?

Jwatte: I’ve downloaded your demo (after I figured out your link needed an extra “/graphics”) and I must say it looks very pretty. I am able to actually see what’s going on. I think I can use this .

Thanks!

You’re welcome. I think I flipped the delta-Y term in the normals in one version of the code; new archive is available. Although you’re probably better off just reading the code and then implementing it for real on your own anyway :slight_smile: