PLEASE SUCH PEOPLE DONT LOVE INFO THEY LOVE ONLY TO BE....

Mad_Musician
Contributor posted 07-13-2003 06:07 AM

Hi opengl people!! thank you fisrt of all for ur interess in my question.
I will try to be more understandable.
I have a cursor that i can move on a window of opengl. That cursor draw a red path along the way he “walk”. My problem is that i want to make impossible for the “player” to move the cursor on a path segment he still “walked”, like it was a wall. Now i m understanding i have to recognize where the wall is. My question is can i read from the colour of the pixel in the window if there is a wall or not. In few words i would like to read the colour of a pixel in the opengl window without save in a array each pixel i have drawn before. I know there is a buffer as the depth buffer from where u can read the information of a pixel with a function (i think glReadPixel but i didnt it before and the tutorials i did read are too difficult for me. If u were so gently to wrote me a little example that were beautifull!!!
I would need something like
colorofxypixel = glreadthecolorofxypixel
but i dont know how to dooooo
i use glut and opengl libraries i did study a little c and c++ but not win32 or such things like mfc and co…
(my target were to program a little wolfied game because in that i have i cannot save my play…)
So thank u all and good programming day!!
byeeeeeee

rgpc
Frequent Contributor posted 07-13-2003 07:29 PM

(a) This is a beginner question and not appropriate for this forum.
(b) Do a search on the web for glReadPixel and you’ll find all the information you need on how to use it.

Mad_Musician
Contributor posted 07-14-2003 12:52 AM

dear rgpcfogkals i have to learn something to you!
In the past i have always thunk that beginners doesnt need very eccellent material or professors because they dont need 100% of precision, they are only beginners…
But now that i ma a little older i can surely tell you that that was a wrong idea i had!
If a beginner learn from a beginner and he does all the thing with 60-80% precision, after a couple of years it will be impossible for him to really return at the perfect methodology of work he wanted at the start from professionally professors. I simply dont want to get stupid habit. But now i did see wath for a technician are u…
That is stupid you wirte to me an answer (i was so happy there was one…) in wich u tell me u are profi and i m only a ****… so uselessy… U are sure profi with opengl but please try to be more modest in your life!!!

1)Most of the people posting to advanced also answer questions in the beginners’ forum. You see, there’s no need to get all upset.

2)There’s no purpose in posting questions multiple times. What are you trying to accomplish this way? Get everyone mad at you? If that’s what you want, it might actually work …

3)Maybe your question hasn’t interested anyone, because it has nothing to do with rendering. What you’re after is called “collision detection”.

4)Why you would wish to accomplish camera movement restrictions via rendering and reading back colors is beyond my wildest imagination. If that’s really what you’re trying to do, I honestly recommend you abandon the idea and try something else.

Mad_Musician == C++ ?

Wonderin’ the same thing…

Certainly, Mad_Musician ≃ C++!

You’ve always got to love it when some poor, misguided fool, posts an inappropriate topic and then blows up because they are told so.

I think this sums it all up…

In the past i have always thunk that beginners doesnt need very eccellent material or professors because they dont need 100% of precision, they are only beginners…

Yehaw! Ma mom hooz ma cuzin…

… epecially since you actually answered the question, anyway.

Sigh, the best advice I can give you right now is read this:
http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html

What you’re doing is not a good start if you really want help from the people who take their time to promote OpenGL and help developers around here.

People here are friendly, they do help but they don’t appreciate the kinds of posts you’ve been making.

hmmm… i have some strange feeling that he’d like this one more:
http://ln.com.ua/~openxs/articles/smart-questions-ru.html

i excuse me for my mistakes but i would like to invite you to write italian like i write english… it could be interessant and funny!
Ehi boy u are a V.I.P. but i dont understand why do u have time to answer such dummy question then… leave me to my life and i will leave to yours! I did ask something u and only you wanted to answer. If u dont want to answer to beginners then go ahead but dont tell me wath i have to do in a free place such this. ok! bye and i hope never to ear of you. And please dont use pieces of my messages to tell the entire discussion thats no so modular like a c++ program ok?
(that was for rgpcfjglgn)
For the other i would like only to tell that if you dont have time for such things then i dont understand why are u here answering at me. I did only a question if u want to anser me then thank you lese please leave me alone.
Second: i still read something about reading from the color buffer so i dont think wath i m triyng to do is so a mistake. I hope here i had found something better as a reference manual.
You all did have experience and i thunk you wanted to help people but many of you are not in that way, they prefer to show how they good are.
Third my mother speech is italian so please try to understand my mistakes.
Fourth: Thank you to all did answer at my OPENGL question. To the others: if you have enough time to answer such uselessy things then you are not so V.I.P. as you would like to be!
Remember freedom is only in you head! Bye

It seems these people always have the same arguments:

1. What about you write in my language, dude?
  2. I have the freedom to write whatever I want, but you still have to give me your source code.
  3. Since you think I am stupid, so you must be a genius, huh?
  4. Can you be a little bit nicer, ***hole?

If there’s one thing worse than someone posting indulgent nonsense to the group, it’s annoying cross poststed indulgent garbage from someone who seems to think the ensuing righteous indignation is misplaced. I’m normally very tollerant of posting mistakes but when they are compounded the way you have I get rather annoyed.

I tried to help, at first with the glreadpixels call (my suggestion in an earlier thread along with additional stuff w.r.t. the read buffer) then with your heinous netiquette, but some people just can’t be helped. You won’t read manual pages and you won’t read offered links. If you cannot understand a simple well documented call like glReadPixels then you need to learn to program first, this is not a flame, it’s just good advice, ignore it at your peril. Your native language has nothing to do with your posting conduct here.

Thanks for helping to strengthen the case for moderation around here, hopefully if the webmaster pulls his finger out then annoyances like this can be dispensed with.

Please don’t let that stop you from posting IF you post smarter, but post on topic and don’t whine when someone helps you by trying to correct you, or at LEAST confine your whining to the original thread and don’t expand your tantrum to other lists, nobody here cares about your temper fit except w.r.t. the damage a stranger is inflicting on the forums.

Finally, read the link I offered before posting again to avoid further embarrassment.

[This message has been edited by dorbie (edited 07-14-2003).]

If ever there was one, I think this is an indication this forum is in desperate need of moderation. Higher powers, please take notice and do something!

Just ignore it and it’ll go away.

I have given up the idea of having moderators on this board. Doesn’t look like they can find a good person for the job (IF they are looking that is).

Guess with the low traffic, it is not really a big issue for them.

As for the originator of the post, since I can’t really tell what the heck you want, I advise you to search all these message boards, then use google to search other web sites, and news groups, and hope you find what you want.

Originally posted by jwatte:
Just ignore it and it’ll go away.

Ignore watte (ahem what)?

Hello people that was nice to ear wath u have to say on my person. Now take a look on yourself and probe to be onest. All wath i had to say was for rgpc and not for other people.
I thanks all gave me input for my simply question. But it seems nobody can help me here or better nobody WANT (?) to help me here.
That was only a probe, and please if u give me links to pages where i cannot find some examples leeave me alone, it is better. U HAVE NOT TO ANSWER TO MY TOPIC IF U DONT WANT if u answer is only to give me information not to tell me wath i have to do!!!
THAT IS A FREE PLACE A PUBLIC PLACE!!!
Thank you to the people can talk as human and not as a mammut.

Hello people that was nice to ear wath u have to say on my person. Now take a look on yourself and probe to be onest. All wath i had to say was for rgpc and not for other people.
I thanks all gave me input for my simply question. But it seems nobody can help me here or better nobody WANT (?) to help me here.
That was only a probe, and please if u give me links to pages where i cannot find some examples leeave me alone, it is better. U HAVE NOT TO ANSWER TO MY TOPIC IF U DONT WANT if u answer is only to give me information not to tell me wath i have to do!!!
THAT IS A FREE PLACE A PUBLIC PLACE!!!
Thank you to the people can talk as human and not as a mammut.

OMG, it’s “C++” or “milhali…”

What the hell is “wath?” Do you mean the word “what?”

-SirKnight

Please, don’t feed the troll.