From 3DS to OpenGL.c++

This is a version of my program
These are a few of screenshots

My program does:

1. import a 3DS file
  2. Build normals for smooth shading
  3. applies color material and textures
  4. Joins equal points (used in texturig)
  5. Builds triangle strips for a faster rendering
  6. export a c++ code wich can be used in a display list

Sure this is better than 3DWinOGL:

• it’s faster
  • it uses less memory
  • it applies textures
  • it’s free
    It’ better than 3D exploration:
  • It apllies texture correctly (see the screenshots!!)
  • It’s free

I’d be glad if you answer to some of these questions:

1. Do you like this program?? (why yes?, why not?)

2. Is it useful?? (why yes?, why not?)

3. Do you use any other program wich does something similar??

4. Have you find any bug??

5. Is there something else my program should do?? (I know there are) (what?)

6. Will you use this program??

7. any other comment is wellcome.

8. Do you know how to place my name and my program in the home page of this site?? have I any possibility??

I’m waiting for your answears.
chrs

I’ve not tried your program (no accel cards here, argh!), but I have some idea for you… (question 7!!)

I think that will be more useful something like a ‘library’ (that’s similar to what I wrote for my apps, but less generic than a library).
I say this because I think that it’s more powerful to change the 3ds file without recompiling the source, isn’t it?

The screenshots seems to work well…
bye!
tFz

That’s pretty impressive! You’re library would be very usefull for begginers who are not sure how to use opengl, plus it’s very good for static objects.

You’re going to need to include “c_bitmap.h” with your program.

This is a very cool way to make static objects for beginners, but what you’re going to need to do next is make a library that gives control to the 3D objects. Right now I’m working on a library that does just that…and I too am releasing the library.

Here’s some features my library curently supports:
-3ds file reader
-multitexturing
-textures
-normals
-colors(rgba GLubyte)
-smooth shading
-flat shading
-redundent element stripper(used to align elements for CVAs…very slow though…I use a linear sort)
-single object manipulator(translate, scale, rotate)
-multiple object manipulator(translate, scale, rotate)
-calculates surface planes for collision detection, and even does the detection for you
-envirnmental maps
-polygon grouping so you can tell the drawing routine to only draw certain polygons which is good for tile based 3D games
-mesh animation
-multiple textures on one mesh(slower, but good for tile based 3D games)

All these things can be done within the program. The programmer can do just about anything he wants to once he’s loaded the 3ds file. What people are gonna want to do is manipulate differant objects once the model is loaded in…like say tires on a car, or the turret on a tank.

Anyway, that’s just my suggestion. I really think you’re program is cool. It’s very cool how it exports a whole cpp file that creates a display list. It may not be usefull to alot of people, but you’re programming skills show.

Anyway, email one of the admins here, and at gamedev.net and see if you can make this thing popular for OpenGL begginers. I wish I had sample code like that when I first started.

Good luck and have fun always with what you like doing best.

[This message has been edited by WhatEver (edited 04-02-2001).]

I tried your program out but it seems to refuse to load up. It just sorta hangs the computer. Could this maybe be an issue with the video card? Its a 16 MB ATI.

Originally posted by Cardinals33:
I tried your program out but it seems to refuse to load up. It just sorta hangs the computer. Could this maybe be an issue with the video card? Its a 16 MB ATI.

I don’t know, I use a Geforce II MX.

Originally posted by Teofuzz:
[b]I’ve not tried your program (no accel cards here, argh!), but I have some idea for you… (question 7!!)

I think that will be more useful something like a ‘library’ (that’s similar to what I wrote for my apps, but less generic than a library).
I say this because I think that it’s more powerful to change the 3ds file without recompiling the source, isn’t it?

The screenshots seems to work well…
bye!
tFz[/b]

that’a a good idea!!

Originally posted by WhatEver:

A question,
in your openGL programs you use your own application??
Do you use another one??

I think everybody needs an app like mine (or like your)
… i like working on this program, but will this program be used by someone?? (and above all alone is not funny!!)

ugh … it seems that your program is allergic to ATI RAGE GPU !! It doesn’t want to load on my computer (Celeron 400, 128Mb, ATI 128 32 Mb with good drivers) … whereas it runs well on a Geforce card … can u check ur code to discover the bug?

Arath

I use Rhino3D to create my models, and UView to texture them. I’m currently saving up for Lightwave3D though so I can animate my models. Rhino3D is only a modeler. It’s used for manufaturing but sence it supports so many file formats and is such a great modeling tool, it’s advertised in the game industry.

I’m sure people will use your program. All you need to do is advertise a little. Tell them exactly what it is your program does, and then they can decide if they want it. So far you have many people who want to use it. Get the emails from their profiles and email them a link and a description of your program. Only email the ones who said they wanted it though, you definatly don’t want to push anything on anybody.

Hmmm, I wouldn’t be so sure the bug is in the openGL code if you’re using ATI…

I succeeded loading a large model (30,000 facets). No glitches at all, excellent performance … Good work.

I have not tries it with textured models and I have not tried to compile and run the resulting code. If I get a chance this week I will do so.

BTW: Win98 / GeForce2 GTS