How to avoid clamped fragments color ?

When a textured 3D object is lit by a very bright diffuse light (let’s say RGB = 50, 50, 50) the object unfortunately doesn’t look white as the final color is computed as :
clamped_to_one(fragment_color) * texel

The correct way to lit a textured object should be :
clamped_to_one( fragment_color * texel).

Is there a way to avoid fragment clamping in order to correctly light a textured object ?

[This message has been edited by Darken (edited 11-02-2002).]

You can use a fragment shader.

Fragment shader Humus? Really? I think you meant ARB_fragment_program, right?

Indeed, ARB_fragment_program, and the floating-point frame buffer formats that go with it, are the solution to many shortcomings of current fixed-point lighting problems.

I also recommend to use a high value for the constant term of the lighting equation, when you use a bright lighting value. That way, light fall-off is slower, but you still don’t get too far into over-bright territory.

Originally posted by jwatte:
Indeed, ARB_fragment_program, and the floating-point frame buffer formats that go with it, are the solution to many shortcomings of current fixed-point lighting problems.

Yep, I downloaded the spec of the NV30 and stuff like NV_float_buffer seems interesting :slight_smile: Too bad we have to use such an advanced GPU just to overcome a simple pipeline limitation :frowning: Moreover we’ll need to wait some more years to expect to see such hardware on many PCs :-/

Meanwhile I am using this trick : if the 3D object has a texture, I set the diffuse material color to a dark grey : 0.25, 0.25, 0.25. Then I use GL_ARB_texture_env_combine to compute this equation : color_texel * color_fragment * 4.

I lose some precision but the result looks better than what I expected. Unfortunately I am still limited in the maximum light intensity : one light and a maximum intensity of 4, or, let’s say four lights with an intensity of 1.

Thx for your answers ! I hope to see a GL_ARB_lighting_no_clamp one day :wink:

Fragment shader Humus? Really? I think you meant ARB_fragment_program, right?

Fragment_program is better, but a fragment_shader is still enough for most over-bright kind of computations with it’s [-8, 8] range.

Originally posted by Darken:
I set the diffuse material color to a dark grey : 0.25, 0.25, 0.25. Then I use GL_ARB_texture_env_combine to compute this equation : color_texel * color_fragment * 4.

Oh no, the GeForce 1, 2 and 3 seems to store fragment colors components as bytes, so by doing a div by four and mult by four I lose 2 bits of precision ! On large dark surfaces the shading is ugly. Damn ! Is there hardware who provide more precision for fragment colors ? 10 bits per components, or better ? 16 bits ? :-9

The Radeon 9500 and 9700 supports floating point per component, with no clamping. I think the Wildcat VP does, too. The next nVIDIA card will, too, except you can’t buy it yet.

Meanwhile, the 9500 pro LISTS at $199; should be cheaper on the street. Interesting times indeed!

The Radeon 9500 and 9700 supports floating point per component, with no clamping. I think the Wildcat VP does, too. The next nVIDIA card will, too, except you can’t buy it yet.

Sorry for making this old topic alive :wink:

Well, actually I’ve read some stuff about the Radeon 9700 and the NV30 lately. And you right ! :slight_smile: It’s even a bit overkill : 24 bits for each color components ! Yahaa, I’m so happyyy :wink:

Well unfortunately the Radeon 9700 is the most expensive 3D card I’ve seen (well, for general consumers ;-)), but I hope the price of this generation of 3D card should decrease :o) (and it should !)

The Radeon 9500 seams like an obvious buy for anyone who don’t like spending $400 on video cards. $190 for the plain 9500 and $210 for 9500pro. They are even listed for those prices here in the normally quite expensive Sweden.