.md2 model loading question

I have found several tutorials on loading md2 and md3 (quake II and 3 models). I am interested in model loading and animation in particular. A few questions if anyone can answer:

1. Can quake models (md2 and md3) be used freely or do you need a license from the company?
  2. What would be a good model format to use for opengl? I know you can load 3ds files directly but I read that it is not the best format for opengl.
  3. Would it be plausible to write a converter for 3ds files to eliminate unused information to a format that would be easier to parse?
    Thanks for any input you guys may have.

Originally posted by dj_indo_420:
[b]

1. Can quake models (md2 and md3) be used freely or do you need a license from the company?
    [/b]

This is not an Opengl Question.

2) What would be a good model format to use for opengl? I know you can load 3ds files directly but I read that it is not the best format for opengl.

256bit encrypted text files, little-endian with every second character a null. (Aka Opengl couldn’t give a stuff what file format you use - it comes down to what editor you have and how far you wish to go with writing exporters/loaders etc)

3) Would it be plausible to write a converter for 3ds files to eliminate unused information to a format that would be easier to parse?

No, this is completely impossible, you’d have to be some kind of genius to write an exporter - or to search the forums and find that this question has been answered 100 times before, on this forum, and is still neither an Opengl or an advanced question. (Standard answers are look at ASE blah, blah blah)

thanks for all your useful info, I figured model loading could be associated to opengl as an advanced topic, i guess i was wrong. sorry to waste your precious time.

Yes, these people’s time is sooo precious. Please don’t take away their forum posting time to answer non OpenGL questions, they are far too busy…LOL