OT-Normal Map Generator For 3ds Max

Hi,

I just downloaded the 3ds Max Normal Map Generator, available at http://sparks.discreet.com/downloads , This is supposed to generate normal maps from High resolution meshes to be used in Low resolution meshes as a bump map, but this dint work properly for me. The Readme file which came with the download had an exercise with two spheres and a noise modifier. Did anybody else try this? any luck?. I guess this is a great utility!

Thanks,
Sundar

Oops!!

It does work, My mistake, I forgot to generate mapping coordinates!

Anyways, This is a great utility for those who use MAx to model.

-Sundar

I’ve been looking for something like that. Whats the modifiers name?

Thanks!

John.

Originally posted by john_at_kbs_is:
[b]I’ve been looking for something like that. Whats the modifiers name?

Thanks!

John.[/b]

Just go to http://sparks.discreet.com/downloads/ and download the Normal Map Rendering Utility on that page.

-Sundar

Sundy,

Thanks!

John.

cool plugin.
they are talking abaout the sourcecode for this plugin. but i can’t find it in the “downloads” section. did someone else found it ?

Hey all,

I just downloaded this plugin, installed it and began following the ReadMe instructions. It seems to be generating a normal map, but I’m running Max4.26 and my Material Editor has no “Viewport Manager Rollout”. Anyone have any idea how to see the results of this inside Max4.xx?

I am rather surprised to see this as a plugin for max 4. I believe (unless my memory is failing me) that this is a standard included plugin in 5. Gotta love developing plugins for MAX. Probably took them an entire 5 minutes to get this bad boy to compile and run on max 4.

Devulon

Hi,
If you are looking for the viewport manager, You wont find it on max 4 as it just doesnt have it, Max 5 Has a realtime shader shich supports bump maps, Max 4 doesnt(as far as I know). I looked for the source code too, Its not available yet, maybe they’ll post it very soon. But am sure you can use the normal maps generated by the plugin for your models.

-Sundar