How do I query GeForce memory size?

Greetings,

How do I find out how whether the GeForce card running my application has 32/64/128 MB?
I’ve seen earlier postings on this, but no solutions.

thanks,
Karthik

OpenGL doesn’t expose that kind of information.

Query it using DirectX.

That’s right that this value can not be queried through OpenGL.

Though you can query the possibility of uploading a texture to the GL.
For instance if you’re not sure that you can upload a 2048x2048 RGBA texture, you can query the GL.

There is a utility for download at nvidia. This tells you about the amount of used memory and so forth…
www.nvidia.com

Originally posted by clunis_immensus:
[b]Greetings,

How do I find out how whether the GeForce card running my application has 32/64/128 MB?
I’ve seen earlier postings on this, but no solutions.

thanks,
Karthik[/b]

Im pretty sure Ive written the solution a couple of times at least.

Just upload a few textures and see at what point texture swapping begins, then using your knowledge of the desktop resoltion and your GL window to guesstimate the video memory.

Not an important feature so the vendors dont care.

V-man

dont forget agp
the whole things a can of worms.
as v-man saiz personally (as with many other things) run a simple app first time the result (or whatever) + take it from there

V-Man: you won’t find the card’s memory with such technique. You will see what’s exposed by the driver. Though, if combined with glAreTexturesResident and glPrioritizeTextures (both available since OpenGL1.1) you may be able to get a finer result.

Ask the user. If he/she doesn’t know, then he/she doesn’t deserve to use your software optimally

Originally posted by zed:
dont forget agp
the whole things a can of worms.
as v-man saiz personally (as with many other things) run a simple app first time the result (or whatever) + take it from there

Well I wasnt suggesting that he times the performace. glIstextureresident should return FALSE if a texture is pushed back to AGP memory.
That’s considered swapping texture!

Of course, your performance will drop when that occurs.
Im interested in seeing some results from systems using RAMBUS. How good is their AGP performance?

V-man