View Full Version : the Genesis 3D engine

11-19-2000, 07:49 AM
hi, i've got the genesis 3d engine here, i wonder if there's a port of the graphics driver to OpenGL anywhere,'cause it features only DirectX,Glide and software mode... another question: i've never seen Gilde-code before i got the Genesis3D, and i noticed that the Glide API looks VERY similar to OpenGL; what are the main differences of the both, and will Glide be supported in the future, i.e. does it make sense to let my engine support glide??

Michael Steinberg
11-20-2000, 07:35 AM
Glide is 3dfx specific, so you really must have time and money to make a glide-engine in addition to your normal engine (say OpenGL or DX).

Divide Overflow
11-22-2000, 09:47 AM
Either that or be bored

11-22-2000, 09:35 PM
Maybe you can MAKE money by doing a Glide
engine? Would 3dfx dump money on you for
doing that? :-)

Michael Steinberg
11-23-2000, 06:41 AM
Wouldn't be very likely, since modern 3dfx cards ship with an opengl driver. It may be in their interrest to program a glide-only engine, but I don't think that developers today would even think about that option... http://www.opengl.org/discussion_boards/ubb/smile.gif

11-27-2000, 11:09 AM
3dfx comitted to dumping glide a year ago in their roadmap. Granted its fast, and its fairly simple, but the truth is that 3dfx considers it a legacy product.