Also: Static Water reflections

I open an other thread for static reflectionsI will also need a less frame expencive water…
The water will be again from dynamic moving vertices and not a simple planar surface but now I want static reflections. I want the skybox of the world to be reflected at the water surface.
what you suggest to use to do that?

Originally posted by unreal:
I open an other thread for static reflectionsI will also need a less frame expencive water…
The water will be again from dynamic moving vertices and not a simple planar surface but now I want static reflections. I want the skybox of the world to be reflected at the water surface.
what you suggest to use to do that?

Best solution is using vertex shaders. Once render skybox (and all other objects above the water surface) to texture and calculate each frame texture coordinates for reflect texture.

Yes, or use EMBM (environment mapped bump mapping) to peturb the coordinate in a fragment shader before the texture fetch, the bumpmap would be an animated ripple and the water surface remains a simple plane. The skybox would be stored in a cubemap texture (in both solutions). There are examples with source code that do this availabe online.

http://developer.nvidia.com/attach/6398