RenderMonkey

Does anyone know what RenderMonkey is?
The only reference about it I managed to find is on SPIN . I found nothing on ATI’s website.

Is it a shading library such as the one ATI presented at GDC2K2? I also don’t find the 2 Maya/Max plugins discussed in the presentation.

Julien.

Ok, I just saw it on the SIGGRAPH 2002 page and I guess I’ll have to wait…

Julien.

Originally posted by deepmind:
[b]Ok, I just saw it on the SIGGRAPH 2002 page and I guess I’ll have to wait…

Julien.[/b]

RenderMonkey™ - SIGGRAPH 2002 Presentation

Is there a book or a good source for doing tricks like this? Something that talks about all the shading technics invented until now. There are some nice descriptions about how to give a clear coat look to a painted surface in that document.

I see a lot a great looking effects in games, but I don’t know how it’s being done.

Any link for the RenderMonkey executable?

V-man

v-man, can’t you just wait and sit down? the r300 is not yet out, and the use of rendermonkey is simply no one without r300… about how its done, they have quite good descriptions on how its done… more will follow for sure. and if not from ati, then soon a new nvidia demo follows that presents us some new techniques we know yet

Originally posted by V-man:
[b]Is there a book or a good source for doing tricks like this? Something that talks about all the shading technics invented until now. There are some nice descriptions about how to give a clear coat look to a painted surface in that document.

I see a lot a great looking effects in games, but I don’t know how it’s being done.

Any link for the RenderMonkey executable?

V-man[/b]

RenderMonkey has not been released yet, so there is no link to the executable. Many of the effects that are demonstrated in that presentation can be implemented on the Radeon8500… I have personally implemented the two tone car paint shader and the metal fleck car paint shader on the Radeon8500 (using RenderMonkey) so you can certainly do it. As for books that discuss shader tricks and tips, I would recommend Game Programming Gems 3 (just came out) and ShaderX (also just came out). ShaderX is a D3D shader book but it’s a good source for ideas and I’m sure all the shaders are easy to translate into OpenGL shaders. --Chris

[This message has been edited by chrisATI (edited 07-23-2002).]

Well, it seemed like it wasn’t released yet, but maybe there was a hidden site at ATI. Reading about the R300 got me a little too excited.

Thanks for the book recommendations.

V-man