PDA

View Full Version : Changing Resolution

Andrew Jameson
04-29-2003, 11:38 PM
Hi,
I have an option to allow the user to define the required resolution (height, width) and use the API ChangeDisplaySettings. Now that all works fine ... but the monitor sometimes ends up with a black screen. At first I believed it to be a problem associated with our code but it's to do with the monitor. I've found that turning the monitor on/off restores the video display. Now this must be a problem associated with the monitor's synchronization.

It more often than not occurs on a change from a high to low resolution and I've confirmed that this problem is exhibited by a range of different monitors.

This problem must have been seen before and I'd guess there's a solution ? ... (No matter what we do, we can't provoke the same problem when using control panel settings utility)

Andrew

Obli
04-30-2003, 09:21 AM
Originally posted by Andrew Jameson:
It more often than not occurs on a change from a high to low resolution and I've confirmed that this problem is exhibited by a range of different monitors.

This problem must have been seen before and I'd guess there's a solution ? ... (No matter what we do, we can't provoke the same problem when using control panel settings utility)

Andrew

So you're using win32 API. So do I but I never encountered this problem on a VERY OLD monitor (10+ years) and a newest one (2-3 years). Does the problem occurs when switching from low to high res?
I would put my idea on controlling the refresh rates more strictly but I also know this does not make too much sense...