position

Hi guys,
I’m drawing a pseudo-nurbs with line strips and draw the points and I want to draw the control vectors :
glMap2f( GL_MAP2_VERTEX_3,…)
// draw strips
// then draw points
for ( w=0; w<WidNbr; w++ )
for ( h=0; h<HgtNbr; h++ )
{
glBegin( GL_POINTS );
glEvalCoord2f( [x],[y] );
glEnd();
}
and I try to get back the real position of each point.
I have tried with glGetFloatv and glGetMapfv but I can’t get it.

Any idea?
Thanks
Pierre

glEval…() is not updating the current state, as far as I remember, so glGet…() on the current vertex will return the last glVertex() data instead.

I haven’t understood the meaning of “control vectors” though. Do you mean the first derivatives in u and v direction at each point?

Hi Relic,
Thanks for your answer,
My mean is to find the XYZ coordinates of the point I just drawn.
If glEval doesn’t update this data is there any other way to get this information(without recalculate with algorythms :frowning:
Regards
Pierre

Sounds as if glRenderMode(GL_FEEDBACK) would return the data. That doesn’t draw anything and isn’t hardware accelerated normally.
But feedback is something I largely avoid.
Have a look in feedback.c of the redbook examples.
I did Bezier and B-spline patches myself after I had some weird experiences with two sided lighting with glEval. Haven’t used glMap since then.

So if you don’t use glMap, what do you do? Do the calculations?
Do you think NURBS is more reliable?

Depends on what you want to do. Knowing what happens in the graphics is always a plus.
I have written some algorithms which calculate the surface and normals of freeform patches for personal research. It’s quick enough to be realtime editable, but I don’t know how the code looks like anymore(three years ago, maybe), so I cannot offer it.
I rely on basic OpenGL features mainly. Stuff in libs I have no source access to must work or I simply kick it.
NURBS have less polygons than my algorithm, which simply interpolates in constant steps on u and v.
Give it a try. It’s not that complicated with the glu lib, but if you need the final vertices for storing models you’ll need the feedback buffer.