.NET with OpenGL... Is it worth it?

Hi all,

I was wondering is it worth it to learn .NET to program with OpenGL? If you could compare it to other languages like C++ or VB that would be great.

My main focus is speed, not how hard it is to code. I would like to know, do I get about the same FPS as c++?

Thanks for any input
zix

Hello, i am writting an OpenGL program using C++ .NET, in a mixed app (managed and no-managed code), and, at the moment, i don’t see much diference in the FPS, but a real thing is that .NET slows down the app a bit.
I am using Windows Forms, and two opengl contexts (i am rendering to two Panels (512x512 and 256x256)), with an AMD 1Ghz and 3dLabs vp560 card i get near 600 fps ‘simultaneoulsy’ in the two contexts (both rendering at the form idle time). I doesn’t throwing a lot of vertices, only about 1400.

[This message has been edited by Ffelagund (edited 01-13-2004).]

I had to learn C#/OpenGl for a recent client and it was pretty painless.

The biggest hassle was dealing with managed data structures vs. OGL’s pointers, which gets very annoying with all the ‘fixed’ blocks. I wound up having to use C# like C++ in many cases, making unmanaged structures with a custom memory allocator.

So the net effect is that the OGL portions of the code are about as fast as C++, but gain nothing from C#'s extra management.

The thing I did not try was initializing extensions. Importing from DLLs is easy, but I didn’t see an easy way to set up function pointers (it could be easy – I just didn’t have time to explore it).

Avi

I’m moving this thread to the windows-specific forum…

I think you should really just forget about speed and use whatever lets you be the most productive. I really don’t expect the choice of language to make much of a difference unless you plan to do really CPU-intensive (i.e. non-graphics) stuff.

– Tom