outdoor-optimizing

i’m programming an outdoor-engine…
the most difficult part ist probably to draw only the visible part…
for now, i am here :

• build an octree
  • calculate which end-of-octree-boxes are visible because of their distance to the viewer
  • reduce the number of visible parts down to 1/4 by frustum culling

quite good, but not enough.
lets assume i stand in front of a hill. all i see is the hill, containing 200 triangles. behind it is another hill, a bit smaller. behind this one is another and so on.
i see 200 triangles, and MUCH more are calculated.

my idea is : you can see 1,2 or 3 sides of an end-of-octree-box. is it possible to ask opengl “has anything been drawn there yet ?”
if yes, i could skip the box, and all polys contained in it, by “theoretically draw” 3 quads

Originally posted by HamsterofDeath:

my idea is : you can see 1,2 or 3 sides of an end-of-octree-box. is it possible to ask opengl “has anything been drawn there yet ?”
if yes, i could skip the box, and all polys contained in it, by “theoretically draw” 3 quads

see here : http://www.opengl.org/discussion_boards/ubb/Forum3/HTML/008313.html
especially the last post of pbrown that gives details on how to use this extension

And it has been discussed in other threads to…

looks like this only works with nvidia-cards…
i don’t want to use anything chip-specific …

I came across some papers/tuts on terrain occlusion culling (in SW of course).I don’t have any links but you shouldn’t have much trouble with google.I doubt they’re worth the implementation though.

i got another idea :
i pick out a high point (for example the highest point of every hill) then find out the biggest cone possible that fits under this point without touching the landscape -
from a single point of view, the cone is a triangle, and every octree-box completely behind this triangle is invisible
few calculations - big speedup

Originally posted by HamsterofDeath:
looks like this only works with nvidia-cards…
i don’t want to use anything chip-specific …

ATI supports that extension too.
Since it’s a so-called “directx9 feature”, I guess it will eventualy become an ARB extension next year…

Julien.