GL_ARB_vertex_buffer_object

Help!!
I have a Dell Insprion 8500 with a GeForce4 4200 Go chip. The latest nvidia drivers for linux support GL_ARB_vertex_buffer_object. On Win XP, glGetString(GL_EXTENSIONS) doesn’t include GL_ARB_vertex_buffer_object.

Is there something specfic I need to do for Windows to enables support for GL_ARB_vertex_buffer_object?

Thanks for any help

Originally posted by azcoder:
[b]Help!!
I have a Dell Insprion 8500 with a GeForce4 4200 Go chip. The latest nvidia drivers for linux support GL_ARB_vertex_buffer_object. On Win XP, glGetString(GL_EXTENSIONS) doesn’t include GL_ARB_vertex_buffer_object.

Is there something specfic I need to do for Windows to enables support for GL_ARB_vertex_buffer_object?

Thanks for any help[/b]

Download the newest driver.

I had downloaded 44.03 from their site yesterday. That is the latet driver as far as I could tell. That driver does include support for vertex_buffer_object on the GEForce 4600 Ti - (I know because it works on my other machine.) VBO just doesn’t work in Windows on their Go chipset.

Perhaps they forgot to add in support for Vertex Buffer Object on their Laptop Go chips in the Windows drivers? It seems ironic that the Linux driver has support and the Windows driver doesn’t. Usually it was the other way around.

Thanks in advance for any other help or info
:slight_smile:

I’m not really surprised that laptop support is not as active than desktop.
The first drivers that supported ARB_vbo did not include the corresponding extension string but did include the function pointer entries. That is, if you check glGetString(GL_EXTENSIONS) without success, don’t give up ! You still can call wglGetProcAddress / glXGetProcAddress for the corresponding VBO functions and in that case you should only give up if one of the pointers is null.