Effects Browser problem

I’m having some trouble getting my effects browser plugin to show up. Whenever I “rescan disk for effects” I get a message box that says: “Error initializing Glut Filter”, “There are no more files”. This is with or without my new dll in the directory that is supposed to be scanned. My dll doesn’t show up in the program either, obviously .

Any ideas about this? Cass?

Thanks in advance for your help.

– Zeno

Zeno,

I’ll look into this. Have you got the most current version of the EB?

Thanks -
Cass

I think so. It’s version 2.0. It has the GLUT directory in it and as far as I know all the effects except for your newest detail bump map demo

It’s possible that I’m doing something wrong…does it come with a glut source example that works with the browser?

– Zeno

Any news?

– Zeno

Zeno,

I talked it over with some other folks in my group and they think it’s an “old” EB. Two things to try:

• Clear the path and then rescan for effects
    • delete it all and download a new one

We definitely want you to be able to use the EB, so if this is a problem with the EB we will get it fixed asap.

Thanks -
Cass

I re-downloaded it just to be sure, but it was the same thing.

I tried clearing then rescanning the directory. That error that I mentioned before stopped coming up after I did this, but it still did not “see” my effect.

Let me know if I missed any steps here. I put this in my glut program in the Main.cpp file:

#define GLH_EXT_SINGLE_FILE
#define GLH_NVEB_USING_NVPARSE
#include <NVEBGlutAPI.c>
#include <glh_genext.h>
#include <glh_nveb.h>
#include <nvparse.h>

NVEB_EFFECT_NAME(“program”);
NVEB_EFFECT_VERSION(“1.0”);
NVEB_EFFECT_LOCATION(“OpenGL\GLUT”);
NVEB_EFFECT_ABOUT(0, NULL, “me”, “http://”);
NVEB_EFFECT_ABOUT(1, NULL, “about”, “No Web Page”);
NVEB_EFFECT_ABOUT(2, “Date”, “May 2001”, NULL);

compiled it as a dll, and then placed it in the GLUT_EFFECTS directory. Am I missing something?

Thanks for helping look into this. If possible, I’d like to get this resolved today so that I can enter my program into your contest.

– Zeno

This is the order that I have things done in the detail_normalmap example. Try putting the includes this way:

#define GLH_EXT_SINGLE_FILE
#define GLH_NVEB_USING_NVPARSE

#include <glh_nveb.h>
#include <glh_extensions.h>
#include <glh_obs.h>
#include <glh_glut.h>
#include <glh_glut_callfunc.h>

#include <nvparse.h>

NVEB_EFFECT_NAME(“Detail Normalmaps”);
NVEB_EFFECT_VERSION(“1.0”);
NVEB_EFFECT_LOCATION(“Effects\Bump Mapping”);
NVEB_EFFECT_ABOUT(0, NULL, “DetailNormalMaps”, “NVEffectsExplained.htm#DetailNormalmaps”);
NVEB_EFFECT_ABOUT(1, “Date”, “May 2001”, NULL);
NVEB_EFFECT_ABOUT(2, NULL, “NVIDIA Developer Relations”, “http://www.nvidia.com/Developer”);

Don’t include NVEBGlutAPI.c and make sure glh_nveb.h is the first glh header you include.

This stuff is pretty order sensitive.

Thanks -
Cass

BTW, are you able to build demos from the SDK and have them show up in the EB? That would be a good first step.

sigh still no luck. I swapped out that code section of mine for yours and it actually compiled with only a little difficulty, but my effect still won’t show up in the browser.

I can’t find glh_glut_callfunc.h in either the effects browser or sdk directories. Is this header necessary? If so, where would I find it?

Would it be possible for someone who has actually gotten this to work with a glut program to send me a skeleton VC++ project (maybe just draws a triangle) that is proven to work? I’m at a complete loss about what I’m doing wrong.

Speed is greatly appreciated, else I won’t be able to enter this thing before friday .

– Zeno

Hi Zeno !

I have actually a similar problem to you…
I managed to compile my effect into a DLL but the Browser will never find it: it is in the correct location but it seems that the browser misses it on Rescan… Probably a problem with linkage or something like that…

I haven’t found glh_glut_callfunc.h either and it could be why I have those problems… I would like to redownload the OpenGL SDK but at this time, the nVIDIA web site (developer section) is down !

Hope I’ll find a fix before midnight !

Regards.

Eric

Eric -

Glad to hear I’m not alone, but it sucks that things aren’t working right.

If you want that glh_glut_callfunc.h, you don’t have to download the whole effects browser, you can just download Cass’s detail bump map demo…it has that file.

I worked on this all night last night. Basically I could never get it to work within my project (it would never recognize the dll I outputted, and I had some strange linker warnings) so I stripped stuff out of the detail normalmap example and replaced it with my code. This project compiled a working dll for me…so if all else fails, try that. Unfortunately, VC++ does NOT make it easy to change project names, so you’ll have to edit the *.dsw and *.dsp files by hand if you go this route.

Cass said that he would look into it for me, so if/when I hear something back from him I’ll post it here.

– Zeno

Zeno, I know it is too late now but I finally managed to put my effect into the nvEffectsBrowser…

The problem for me was that the first “\lib” folder the linker looked in was the original VC++ one. I added the path to the NV OpenGL SDK “\lib” manually in the Link tab and it worked like a breeze… I suppose it is due to the glut32.lib that is modified in the SDK or something like that…

Regards.

Eric