do i have a performance problem ?

Hi,
I have made a .3ds loader which load a mesh with about 100000 polys or vertices (i don’t remember sorry, but it’s for that you have an idea). I render this mesh with glDrawElement and back face culling, no more optimisations and no texture. With a radeon x700 i have 25 fps in a small window, is it normal ? i get a lot of more fps with other files but they have less polygons.

How do you store your vertex and index data? Do you use VBO extension (ARB_vertex_buffer_object)?

If no, so I recommend to do this, because immediate glBegin()/glEnd() mode is not very fast because of CPU usage. Put all your data in big static VBO and render with one call. This might improve your perfomance to at least 100-150 fps.

Originally posted by Jackis:
If no, so I recommend to do this, because immediate glBegin()/glEnd() mode is not very fast because of CPU usage. Put all your data in big static VBO and render with one call. This might improve your perfomance to at least 100-150 fps.
As he’s using glDrawElement, he is certainly not using the immediat mode :wink:
Still using VBOs instead of classic vertex arrays will help improving the performances.

ok thanks guys, i’ll try this.