NV 40.72 - can't install drivers ...

Hello

I’m having severe problems installing the 40.72 NV drivers.

When ever I try to access the contol panel settings, I get the following error:

‘An error occured while Windows was working with the Control Panel file C:\WINNT\System32\desk.cpl.’

On top of that I get an occasional error (on rebooting after first install) reporting that the display drivers are for an earlier version of Windows.

This only happens with 40.72 … all other previous versions work fine.

I’ve tried deleting old drivers, and installing 40.72 from scratch. Installing over older drivers (previous two official releases). Down grading(!!!) from 40.72 to older drivers. Everything works fine as long as no remnants of the new drivers are on my system. This must surely be a driver issue.

BTW I’m using PIII600 + W2K SP3 + Geforce 256 DDR

If anyone has any ideas or has encountered similar problems, I’d love to hear about it! Especially if you have a fix.

Regards
Mark

>>>On top of that I get an occasional error (on rebooting after first install) reporting that the display drivers are for an earlier version of Windows.<<<

Earlier version of Windows! That means you downloaded the win95/98/me version.

Download the right drivers!

V-man

Hello.
I have a problem that I think falls under this topic, too.
I cannot install the NV 40.72 drivers.
To be more precise I cannot open the *.zip.
The really frustrating part about it is that I have problems with ZIP-files from the NV-developer section all the time.
Does anyone know about this?

[This message has been edited by B_old (edited 11-10-2002).]

You’re probably using a download accelerator that opens multiple connections. I’ve heard people have problems with these when downloading from nvidia’s site. Try to turn that feature off or don’t use a download accelerator.

To be more precise …

When deleting the old drivers before installing the new, I cannot access the NV tab in the control panel settings.

When using the update driver feature, I get the error reporting that the drivers are for an older version of windows.

BTW V-Man … I have the right drivers

Cheers

There must be something left over in some ini file or the registry but who can say for sure. Could be the version of IE or some other BS causing shell extensions to fail.

Go into your systems folder and try running nView (nwiz.exe). You can also try running nvtuicpl.cpl by right clicking and choosing run in control panel.

If you already tried uninstalling rebooting and then installing, it should work. Until now, I have simly run setup.exe and made sure control panel and other stuff are closed and had no problems.

V-man

I had the same problem with desk.cpl when using the 40.72 drivers. When I removed my geforce3Ti200 and installed my GF2mx (the GF3 is going in a different system), I reinstalled the drivers and the problem disapeared.

I cannot access the NV tab in the control panel settings

FIX: for nvidia driver 40.x, delete nvrs*.dll in the system folder.