PDA

View Full Version : MRT, render to texture

V-man
10-27-2004, 11:04 AM
It's time to have an extension for rendering to many textures and the frame buffer.

I guess p-buffers are out of the loop because they have their own contexts, but perhaps p-buffer + other textures is a possible valid combination.

Has this been suggested before? Is the problem beeing addressed?

SirKnight
10-27-2004, 01:47 PM
You mean like rendering to a texture and framebuffer at the same time? Instead of render to a texture (pbuffer) then copying it to the framebuffer.

-SirKnight

V-man
10-27-2004, 05:37 PM
Who said anything about both targets containing the same thing?

Korval
10-27-2004, 06:01 PM
MRT renders to AUX buffers. Any RTT extension worth the effort allows you to bind to AUX buffers, so you can render to multiple textures.

V-man
10-28-2004, 08:39 AM
Originally posted by Korval:
MRT renders to AUX buffers. Any RTT extension worth the effort allows you to bind to AUX buffers, so you can render to multiple textures.I know that but what is the procedure? If I render to an AUX buffer, I think I would have to copy it to a texture with glCopyTexSubImage2D

Render to a texture directly would be better.

bobvodka
10-28-2004, 09:36 AM
i've never tried this, but surely you'd just bind a texture to the correct aux buffer and it would have the content mapped to it?

Korval
10-28-2004, 01:57 PM
I know that but what is the procedure?What "procedure"? There's no RTT extension yet (unless you want to count WGL_ARB_RTT), so there's no rendering to a texture in any way, shape, or form.

simongreen
10-28-2004, 04:57 PM
WGL_ARB_render_texture may be ugly, but it does work.

You can use render to texture with MRT, you just bind the AUX buffers as textures just as you would the front buffer. There is an example in our SDK (multiple draw buffers)that demonstrates this:
http://download.nvidia.com/developer/SDK/Individual_Samples/samples.html

I know that but what is the procedure?What "procedure"? There's no RTT extension yet (unless you want to count WGL_ARB_RTT), so there's no rendering to a texture in any way, shape, or form.

jwatte
10-28-2004, 06:51 PM
I don't understand what's "ugly" about WGL_ARB_render_texture? It's fairly well defined, and it provides the actual functionality you typically need when rendering to textures.

Between CopyTexSubImage() and WGL_ARB_render_texture, the only thing I really miss from Direct3D is the ability to re-attach depth buffers to different render surfaces, and the ability to use a single context (device) for various disparate pbuffers (render targets) -- say, float vs int, and double-buffer vs single-buffer.

Korval
10-28-2004, 09:49 PM
Between CopyTexSubImage() and WGL_ARB_render_texture, the only thing I really miss from Direct3D is the ability to re-attach depth buffers to different render surfaces, and the ability to use a single context (device) for various disparate pbuffers (render targets) -- say, float vs int, and double-buffer vs single-buffer.Let's not forget the performance...

V-man
10-29-2004, 11:45 AM
Thanks simon,

always good to have an example.

What is WGL_NO_TEXTURE_ARB?

GLint texFormat = WGL_NO_TEXTURE_ARB;
wglQueryPbufferARB(m_hPBuffer, WGL_TEXTURE_FORMAT_ARB, &texFormat);

if (texFormat != WGL_NO_TEXTURE_ARB)
m_bIsTexture = true; and where is it explained?

Jwatte, using these WGL is not straighforward.
I know I had struggled back then when I began using them. They really require an example because the spec is not enough.
They could also improve these WGL functions to have better error reporting.

And as for my subject : from what I understood it's not possible to render to the frame buffer and a texture.
The example renders to a single p-buffer's 4 aux buffers.
For MRT.... well, how am I suppose to render to multiple textures + a frame buffer?

Does anyone else see the problem?

Korval
10-29-2004, 02:20 PM
Does anyone else see the problem?No. The normal fragment output goes to the framebuffer. The rest of them go to the AUX buffers. So, if you bind textures to the AUX buffers, but leave the framebuffer alone, you're fine.

Eric Lengyel
10-29-2004, 10:34 PM
Yes, I understand the problem. I've been looking for a solution to this as well, but it does not appear to exist.

To get everyone on the same page, the problem at hand is this. Suppose that you have a single rendering context with front and back color buffers, a depth/stencil buffer, and a single AUX buffer. Now you render using a shader that uses MRT to render to the back color buffer and the AUX buffer simultaneously, and also writes to the depth buffer. Once you're done with that, you switch to a different shader for which you want to modify the color buffer, but only read from the AUX buffer as a texture. You also still need the depth buffer for your depth test. Unfortunately, this cannot be done yet, and the only solution is to copy the contents of the AUX buffer to a texture using glCopyTexImage.

You may be thinking "Just everything to a pbuffer with color, depth, and AUX components, and then bind the pbuffer's AUX buffer as a texture when rendering to the main frame buffer." But you can't perform your depth test using the depth buffer in the pbuffer when rendering to the main frame buffer. Again, this requires a copy. We're screwed.

I just hope the upcoming frame buffer object extension addresses things like this.

V-man
10-30-2004, 08:39 PM
OK, this is kind of weird. The "simple_draw_buffer" demo from Nvidia is running slow on ATI with 4.10, Radeon 9500. 10 FPS or so.
It can't do MRT and it is simulating?
I had to modify it and also there were some gl errors for the first call to display, but after it's ok.

No. The normal fragment output goes to the framebuffer. The rest of them go to the AUX buffers. So, if you bind textures to the AUX buffers, but leave the framebuffer alone, you're fine.But binding would make the p-buffer not renderable, I think. The NVidia demo using is binding and using it to render 4 textured quads (teapots).
I will try it shortly.

Korval
10-31-2004, 01:31 AM
Once you're done with that, you switch to a different shader for which you want to modify the color buffer, but only read from the AUX buffer as a texture. You also still need the depth buffer for your depth test. Unfortunately, this cannot be done yet, and the only solution is to copy the contents of the AUX buffer to a texture using glCopyTexImage.This is that whole, "If you unbind the texture from the pbuffer, it loses it's contents" problem, right? Well, as a general matter of basic sanity, if you can't unbind a texture from an RC an dretain the data in that texture, you didn't really render to a texture (despite the name of the extension), and the extension bites. It's one of the reasons why I don't consider WGL_ARB_RTT as real render-to-texture.

If ARB_FBO "works" like that, I'm never going to use OpenGL again.

Eric Lengyel
10-31-2004, 09:37 AM
The problem isn't that you'll lose the contents of your pbuffer when you unbind it. It's that you can't render to any of the pbuffer's color buffers if any one of the pbuffer's buffers are bound as a texture, even if you're not rendering to the one that you're texturing from.

In Nvidia's MRT demo, they're rendering four outputs to four components of a pbuffer, but then they render to a different buffer when they are texturing from those four.

MRT was supposed to provide support for deferred rendering methods -- you render extra data to auxiliary buffers in one pass (such as a base material color or a world-space normal direction) to be used in the calculations for a subsequent pass. But there's no way to render to the same output color buffer in both passes or to depth test from the same depth buffer in both passes, and still be able to texture from the auxiliary buffer(s), without doing at least one full-frame copy.

Korval
10-31-2004, 12:02 PM
The problem isn't that you'll lose the contents of your pbuffer when you unbind it. It's that you can't render to any of the pbuffer's color buffers if any one of the pbuffer's buffers are bound as a texture, even if you're not rendering to the one that you're texturing from.But the problem ultimately stems from not being able to unbind the texture and preserve the data. Not being able to use a bound texture from the current pbuffer wouldn't be a limitation if you could unbind the texture and preserve its contents.

The logical way to think about rendering to a texture is to think of it as rendering to a texture. That is, you render data, and it is stored in that texture. The dependency on keeping that texture bound to the pbuffer is what is causing the problem.

V-man
10-31-2004, 12:33 PM
The logical way to think about rendering to a texture is to think of it as rendering to a texture. That is, you render data, and it is stored in that texture. The dependency on keeping that texture bound to the pbuffer is what is causing the problem.I think Eric's first post suggested a problem with preserving contents, but the problem IS NOT preserving contents.

Perhaps this example will help :

I want to render to 4 textures at once. Let's see what ATI_draw_buffers offers us along with other extensions.

Step 1 : Create a p-buffer with 4 AUX buffers
Step 2 : Write your fragment program with 4 outputs. Load it into the p-buffer's context.
Step 3 : Make p-buffer current
Step 4 : Setup the targets (glDrawBuffersATI)
The targets are AUX0, AUX1, AUX2, AUX3
Step 5: Render a teapot
Step 6 : So it's time to use the 4 AUX buffers at once, but can we? No! A single AUX buffer can be bound as a texture ****at a time****.
A single p-buffer was created in the begining. It represents a single RTT surface, although it has 4 AUX buffers.

What is needed is 4 p-buffers, and all 4 must be rendered at once. ATI_draw_buffers doesn't allow this, probably because of p-buffer beeing a limitation.

Conclusion : I know that MRT means multiple render targets, but what I'm looking for is multiple render textures.

Korval
10-31-2004, 01:56 PM
So it's time to use the 4 AUX buffers at once, but can we? No! A single AUX buffer can be bound as a texture ****at a time****.
A single p-buffer was created in the begining. It represents a single RTT surface, although it has 4 AUX buffers.And there is the problem.

The idea with using rendered-textures ought not be, "bind an AUX buffer as a texture," because that's not what you want. When you rendered to those 4 AUX buffers, your data should have been permanantly stored in 4 bound texture objects. Once stored there, those objects could be used as normal textures, and there would then be no problem. So, ultimately, it is the fact that the texture cannot be unbound without losing data that causes the problem.

Eric Lengyel
10-31-2004, 07:14 PM
So it's time to use the 4 AUX buffers at once, but can we? No! A single AUX buffer can be bound as a texture ****at a time****.
A single p-buffer was created in the begining. It represents a single RTT surface, although it has 4 AUX buffers.
Why can't you texture from all four AUX buffers at once? I don't see any problem there -- you just bind each one individually to different texture units. The spec even says that a pbuffer can be written to again once *all* of the color buffers have been released from being used as textures.

My big problem is that I can't texture from an AUX buffer as I'm rendering to the primary color buffer of the *same* pbuffer. Here's what I want to do:

1) Create a pbuffer with a color buffer, depth/stencil buffer, and one AUX buffer.
2) Render an ambient pass using a shader that writes a color to the color buffer, and a different color to the AUX buffer. The depth buffer is also filled in here. The color written to the color buffer is the typical ambient lighting equation, and the color written to the AUX buffer is the plain material color.
3) Render standard lighting passes to the color buffer without affecting the depth buffer or AUX buffer.
4) Render a deferred lighting effect using information from the depth buffer and the AUX buffer, and add the results to the color buffer. Also, keep depth testing against the same depth buffer that was rendered in the ambient pass.

Unfortunately, I currently have to copy both the depth and AUX buffers out to texture maps because I can't render to the color buffer when either the depth buffer or AUX buffer is bound to a texture (not to mention depth testing from a depth buffer that is also bound as a texture).

If anyone has any ideas about improving this situation, I'd love to hear them. Right now, I'm just praying that FBO allows this to be handled efficiently.

Korval
10-31-2004, 07:32 PM
Right now, I'm just praying that FBO allows this to be handled efficiently.That's why I didn't like barthold's language in describing FBO as

EXT_framebuffer_object offers pbuffer functionality in core OpenGL, where the most important application will likely be render-to-texture. This, for example, means only a single context will be needed to render to many textures.This can easily be interpreted as, "EXT_FBO is like pbuffers, only without the context switch," which means that the ARB has failed yet again. However, I would hope that, after 2 years, they understand what it is we want out of RTT, and that they will give it to us.

V-man
11-01-2004, 07:49 AM
Why can't you texture from all four AUX buffers at once? I don't see any problem there -- you just bind each one individually to different texture units. I didn't know it was possible to bind it that way. I thought binding any of the color buffers meant the entire p-buffer is locked up.

As for the performance, it is still bad but running it from the debugger causes it to slow down quite a bit more. I think I heard of this problem before.

Eric, so why don't you render to something else like I'm going to do.
Bind your front/back buffer and your AUX0 buffer. For your depth, copy the depth to another aux (AUX1) buffer. Then with these 3 textures, render to another p-buffer.
Would this work for you?

NitroGL
11-01-2004, 09:24 AM
MRT example:
http://www.area3d.net/story.php?id=810

Yeah, it's fairly complex, but it does show how to do it.

alphan
11-02-2004, 05:48 AM
Eric, I am doing 32bit float blending using FRONT and two AUX buffers of the same pbuffer. I bind two of the buffers (AUXx and FRONT) as textures and render to the next AUX buffer. It works fine although the spec says that the result is undefined:

If any of the pbuffer's color buffers are bound to a texture, then
rendering results are undefined for all color buffers of the pbuffer.
I don't know why there is such a restriction.

I've also tried to bind DEPTH/AUXx/FRONT/BACK buffers as textures from different pbuffers and to render to another pbuffer at the same time. It is also working. But I am not sure if binding a depth buffer as texture and using the same depth buffer for depth testing concurrently may work. May be if glDepthMask is GL_FALSE.

You can try to use frame sized quad rendering with depth buffer bound as texture instead of glCopyPixels. It works ok in my case (<1 msec as I remember). Though I've not tested if glCopyPixels works faster.

By the way I am using nv 6800gt, driver version 66.81.

Eric Lengyel
11-02-2004, 10:01 AM
I'm not sure why some of those restrictions exist either. As you point out, you get the behavior that makes sense even though it is undefined. Unfortunately, relying on undefined behavior that happens to work right now is dangerous. Any time a new driver comes out, it might suddenly stop working the way you want it to. Getting the same behavior across different hardware vendors is also very difficult. I need to be writing code that will still work five years from now without any intervention from myself, and unfortunately that means relying on explicitly defined behavior only.

yooyo
11-02-2004, 03:05 PM
Spec is very confusing:

From WGL_render_texture:

The possible values for <iBuffer> are WGL_FRONT_LEFT_ARB, WGL_FRONT_RIGHT_ARB, WGL_BACK_LEFT_ARB, WGL_BACK_RIGHT_ARB, and WGL_AUX0_ARB through WGL_AUXn_ARB.

If <hPbuffer> is the calling thread's current drawable, wglBindTexImageARB performs an implicit glFlush.

After this function is called, the pbuffer associated with <iBuffer> is no longer available for reading or writing.

(Is this mean that we can bind for example Back left and AUX1 and then render to AUX2 in same pbuffer, because we bind only Back-left and AUX1 but AUX2 are not binded!?)

Any read operation, such as glReadPixels, which reads values from any of the pbuffer's color buffers or ancillary buffers, will produce indeterminate results. In addition, any draw operation that is done to the pbuffer prior to wglReleaseTexImageARB being called, produces indeterminant results.

yooyo

simongreen
11-08-2004, 01:25 PM
The spec is a bit confusing, but it was written before multiple render targets were even dreamt of. Some of the restrictions were intended to prevent you from reading from a buffer that you were rendering to at the same time. However, all shipping implementations should have no problem binding the different buffers of a pbuffer as different textures simultaneously.

11-14-2004, 08:47 AM
I also hope that the limitation of only being able to use 3 or 4 channels when using RTT can be removed. Sometimes we don't need all of those channels, like when doing shadow mapping, only a single floating point channel is enough. Ultimately, ARB should think out a new render target solution, rather than adding refinement to the existing pbuffer mechanism. If I understand it correctly, pbuffer is designed to be a clone of framebuffer, that's where the many existing limitations came from.