gfx-boards of the whole world

Hello,

i am working on a little cad-program using opengl and vc++ 6.0 with MFC. At home i use an amd-cpu (Thunderbird 900 Mhz) and a Gefroce3 gfx-board. All worked fine, till i thought that i could try my engine at work on a p3-cpu with an ATI Rage128 Pro board inside. When selecting objects using the selection-buffer of gl, the ati-dll “ATION4AA.DLL” crashes for example. It crashes also when i use multitexturing and vertex-arrays in display-lists. Running without using multitexturing vertex-arrays and display-lists is no problem. At home on the opposite side, all works without errors on my Geforce3 board. So when i think of all gfx-boards of the whole world, how can i be sure that my gl-program runs on nearly all or the most of these boards? And when i fix the bugs appeared when i used the ati-card, how could i be sure that running on a board from another manufacturer will cause no other errors. I am very interested in how you do your checks relating to this situation.

Best regards
tabor25

ATI Rage128 Pro: this card really sucks! and the OpenGL driver is terrific. hands off this card!

you can never be sure, that your code will work with every hardware/driver until you test it by yourself.
In a PC world you have to check your programm with every available popular hardware before shipping. In the most cases there must also some workarouds be done to get working, because many drivers does not follow exactly the specs… (just thing about this GL_CLAMP and GL_CLAMP_TO_EDGE stuff…)

Originally posted by AdrianD:
[b]ATI Rage128 Pro: this card really sucks! and the OpenGL driver is terrific. hands off this card!

you can never be sure, that your code will work with every hardware/driver until you test it by yourself.
In a PC world you have to check your programm with every available popular hardware before shipping. In the most cases there must also some workarouds be done to get working, because many drivers does not follow exactly the specs… (just thing about this GL_CLAMP and GL_CLAMP_TO_EDGE stuff…)

[/b]

Hello AdrianD,

thank you for the tip. From now on i will ignore this card and set the focus on actual gfx-boards