PDA

View Full Version : Is XSI easy to develop plugin for game

peng
11-14-2002, 07:45 PM
I dont know I should use it to develop my plugin for game.Is any advantaged than other
in easy to develop sdk or have many documents

santyhamer
11-18-2002, 03:15 PM
Haha... I used/developed for XSI for 2 years and I SURE you... the XSI has the worst SDK??? ever!!! Think in this: try to find a page with XSI plugins... bad luck... no one... and now, try to find a Maya or 3DSMAX plugins page... youŽll find tons of them...

thefirstbigd
11-19-2002, 09:09 AM
I'd say it's ideal for games. The dotXSI file format is good for exporting to your game's format, and is very well documented.

santyhamer
05-26-2003, 06:44 AM
Mmmm nice, an ASCII format, not much space and fast to read! ( sarcastic )

Humus
05-26-2003, 07:48 AM
ASCII formats though taking more space need not be slow to load. My .obj loader easily loads 30MB ASCII .obj files in a second or two.

Roderic (Ingenu)
05-26-2003, 07:56 AM
Originally posted by santyhammer:
Mmmm nice, an ASCII format, not much space and fast to read! ( sarcastic )

Maybe you should read specs before commenting.
The dotXSI format is well documented, has a low and high level interface in the free toolkit, supports many popular apps, and is Binary or ASCII; your choice.

As for Max having plenty of PlugIns, it doesn't mean it's a good software, just that it's popular... because it's easily crackable for example...

jwatte
05-26-2003, 07:56 AM
ASCII works well in configuration management systems. At some point, you compile the ASCII text into binary data which actually gets shipped, possibly as part of a "baked level", just like ASCII C++ source gets compiled into binary object code (and then linked into an executable).

I haven't used XSI so I can't say anything about that, but ASCII for intermediate data is not such a bad idea.