I’ve just released my OpenGL game. Everybody invited to play and test.

Hi,

I’ve just released my OpenGL game.

You can download it here: http://mirror1.sunnygames.com/download/BrixoutXP_Demo_v10.exe (4.5 Meg)

Description of the game, engine and screenshots can be found here: http://www.sunnygames.com/brixout.html

In case of any problem feel free to get in touch at mailto:support@sunnygames.com

Any feedback is really appreciated.

[This message has been edited by Optimizer (edited 09-01-2002).]

I’ve just released update to the demo. You can download it here:
http://mirror1.sunnygames.com/download/BrixoutXP_Demo_v097.exe (4.7 Mb)

In this version:

• fixed bug with some models of TFT monitors;
  • motion of the camera was made smoother;
  • added EXTRA-LIFE feature;
  • fixed some other bugs.

Any feedback is appreciated.

[This message has been edited by Optimizer (edited 08-16-2002).]

Well, hey. If we’re gonna spam the boards, I guess I might as well mention I released my cool new openGL logic/puzzle game Miko & Molly a few weeks ago.

http://www.kronos-software.com

[This message has been edited by LordKronos (edited 08-16-2002).]

LordKronos,

I actually tried your game a few days ago. I liked it! It reminds me of how games were made during the early 80’s ( and that’s enough for me ). The music is great.

I have a few comments:

(1) I couldn’t get past the ice on level 2 and the bounce pad didn’t always work.

(2) The “Not Registered” sign is annoying. Why not just have that on the main title screen only ?

(3) Please change the name to “Mick and Molly” .

Dude, thats top! Very polished very nice. Didn’t find any bugs while I played it for the 1st 3 levels.

Loved the space ship blasting my blocks, and the Z switch was a right cheeky move… Nice!

The models around the level are very nice, good sound effects too… Nice work!

You made any money from that Kronos?

Optimizer,

That is excellent work ! This is definitely a lot of fun. I’ve only just tried some of level 1 right now and it was a blast. I like the small power-up things that float down and made the bat twice as big ( and another one that made lightning strike ).
Music, sound and graphics are very nice too.

Originally posted by Nutty:
You made any money from that Kronos?

Not yet. I just released it 2 weeks ago, but I haven’t been publicizing it much yet (hardly at all). I’m entering the game in the IGF for GDC 2003, so mostly I’ve just been getting feedback from a few dozen people from flipcode and gamedev, along with about 15 friends/relatives. I’ve got about another week to polish it up and squish a few odd compatability bugs before sending it off (IGF judges must receive the game by Sep 1). Once that is done I will step up my marking of the game. I have high hopes for the game, though.

LordKronos,

What a great cutting edge game! It really pushes the boundaries of today’s graphics technology. It’s my new favorite game (next to Pacman.) My only complaint is that you should have put some messages into the demo asking if the player wants to “Buy it now!”. Keep up the great work.

Both games are pretty cool! Kudos to both of ya!

Originally posted by Aaron:
[b]LordKronos,

What a great cutting edge game! It really pushes the boundaries of today’s graphics technology. It’s my new favorite game (next to Pacman.) My only complaint is that you should have put some messages into the demo asking if the player wants to “Buy it now!”.[/b]

What kind of message? Do you mean simething like “If you would like to buy this game …”? Right?

Optimizer:

my only little complaint is with the controls. The pad is a bit too hectic to control, i reackon it should start of a bit slower when it moves and accelerate to it’s max speed. Also, it would be fairly nice to have some direct input support for my joypad…

Pretty cool though

Originally posted by Aaron:
LordKronos,
What a great cutting edge game! It really pushes the boundaries of today’s graphics technology. It’s my new favorite game (next to Pacman.) My only complaint is that you should have put some messages into the demo asking if the player wants to “Buy it now!”. Keep up the great work.

Nice use of sarcasm. Luckily people like you are not my target market. My target market consists of people who would actually like to buy the game, rather than just complain “I like the game enough to play it, but damn those registration messages annoy me too much, and I’m too cheep to pay to get rid of them”. I just don’t understand people who complain about the registration messages. Either you like the game, in which case you can pay to get rid of them (among other things, like getting almost 40 more levels), or you don’t like the game, in which case you have no need to play the game so you won’t be bothered by it.

Coincidentally, that target market also tends not to play games like quake. Some of them dont have more than a Riva 128. Let’s see you do all of your flashy graphics on one of those. I mean seriously, pretty graphics for the sake of pretty graphics is just silly, especially when in doing so you alienate people with hardware more than 6 months old.

P.S. Aaron, what OS do you use?

[This message has been edited by LordKronos (edited 08-17-2002).]

Originally posted by Rob The Bloke:
[b]Optimizer:

my only little complaint is with the controls. The pad is a bit too hectic to control, i reackon it should start of a bit slower when it moves and accelerate to it’s max speed. Also, it would be fairly nice to have some direct input support for my joypad…

Pretty cool though

[/b]

Try to use mouse instead of keyboard.

Originally posted by Optimizer:
Try to use mouse instead of keyboard.

tried it with mouse but it’s way to hectic, ie, less than 1cm movement covers the entire playing area.

A possible mouse sensitivity option in the options menu perhaps?

I still maintain my original comments, mainly cos I spent money on purchasing a nice joypad and I want to use it dammit !

Originally posted by LordKronos:
…My target market consists of people who would actually like to buy the game, rather than just complain “I like the game enough to play it, but damn those registration messages annoy me too much, and I’m too cheep to pay to get rid of them”…

That almost sounds like you were refering to my comment above.

Just for the record, I did respond with e-mail feedback to Kronos that led to him finding & solving a “play-stopping” bug ( the boundce pads and the ice didn’t work on my machine ).

Certainly, you don’t mean that I’m cheap, do you Kronos ?.

Originally posted by Rob The Bloke:
[b] tried it with mouse but it’s way to hectic, ie, less than 1cm movement covers the entire playing area.

A possible mouse sensitivity option in the options menu perhaps?

I still maintain my original comments, mainly cos I spent money on purchasing a nice joypad and I want to use it dammit !

[/b]

Well, the game does not change the mouse speed, it uses the same speed as you have in Windows. Try to disable mouse acceleration it helps a lot. Anyway I’ll change paddle movement in the next version.

About joypad. The problem is I do not use DirectX at all and I am not sure if Windows supports it without DirectX.

PH. Read the tone or Aaron’s message again, then read the tone of your message. His (sarcastic) message sounds like whining and complaining to me. Your message (to me) sounds more like a suggestion, that along with the fact that you gave me constructive feedback. Not sure though why you felt it so necessary to mention what bugs you found when you already notified me of them directly.

Optimizer: In the help screen (first page I think) there is a sentence that says after detroying all bricks “you will be immediately proceed to the next level”. The word “be” doesn’t make sense there…remove it. Also, a keyboard repeat for the menu system would be a nice little touch.

Originally posted by Optimizer:
About joypad. The problem is I do not use DirectX at all and I am not sure if Windows supports it without DirectX.

Yes it does, and I used it as a fallback option in Miko & Molly, so I know it works quite well. Take a look into these functions:

joyGetNumDevs
joyGetDevCaps
joyGetPos
joyGetPosEx

Originally posted by LordKronos:

Optimizer: In the help screen (first page I think) there is a sentence that says after detroying all bricks “you will be immediately proceed to the next level”. The word “be” doesn’t make sense there…remove it. Also, a keyboard repeat for the menu system would be a nice little touch.

I just rewrote help and corrected lot of grammar errors / misspelings. Also thanks for joy* functions.