geforce2 gts with NT4 lockup

i made a similar post in the beginner section but didn’t get a good response… i’m running the geforce256 perpixel bumpmapping demo from Nvidia on my geforce2 gts and after about 5-10 seconds it hangs and the machine is unusable… this happens with many perpixel/reg-combiner demos and i can’t seem to find any reason for it… is this card just getting too damn hot? i opened up the case and practically sat it in a cooler with icepacks and the demos ran a lot longer before the lockup… i might a little bar fridge for my geforce2 gts from Chaintech =]

i’d appreciate if anyone else with my setup could help me figure this one out…

Chaintech geforce2 gts ddr 32mb / nt4 sp6 / det 29.42(it hanged with past drivers too)

thanks
-buck

You wonder why you didn’t get a good response in an OPENGL CODING forum?

Your card is knackered, mate - take it back to the shop!

Jesus…mumble, mumble, groan, moan…

Did you overclock the card using coolbits etc? This may have caused your problem if you did. Use the default clock settings.

dorbie, nope its not overclocked and works fine with gl (with no regcombiner / perpixel stuff)… quake3 will eventually lock hard too… i’ve completely wiped the drive and reinstalled nt but still have this problem

-buck

Hi

I have a similar problem with a GF4 TI4600 from Gainward. When doing for example the Werewolf demo or a selfmade simple multitexturing app, the pc locks up after 1 -60 minutes. For testing I removed all but HD and GF$ and it still locked up. After replacing the GF4 with a TNT2 it even didn’t run stable. I changed the RAM, with no result. Perhaps my power supply is to weak(300W) for a Athlon 1.333.I recognized that my cpu temperature increases to 80°C when doing gl stuff. For coding Im using Win2k

But in contrast under Win98 I was able to play RTCW completely without any problems.

What do you think can the reason be ?

Bye
ScottManDeath

Two years ago I had similar behaviour on my system. After installing the latest chipset drivers the system became stable.

kon

ScottManDeath, looks like we’re in the same boat… i can’t get a temperature reading from my p2 chip or my geforce’s chip so i can’t tell for sure that its a heat problem but at this point i’d strongly guess that thats it… multitexture code will eventually lock my machine also… RTCW locks up… but i’ve had a TNT2 card in this machine a while back and it worked flawlessly(ran multitex code and quake3 fine)… my geforce2 card has a little onboard fan, maybe this isn’t doin the job? i really think its just gettin too hot

kon, i’m running det 29.42

-buck

det 29.42 are the video drivers. What I’m talking about are the chipset/mainboard drivers.

kon